Thread: Web Population

Lightbulb Unanswered: Web Population

Is it possible to populate a db from a web-based HTML form i.e. drop down boxes and text entry?

If so i'd be ever so grateful if someone could give me a nudge in the right direction.

TY

Provided Answers: 59
    yes
    but you need to process the results / input on the form in another script on the server. you can't do it directly from the form on the users browser.

either use something like ASP, PHP, ColdFusion or even CGI scripting langauge like PERL

the mechanism is usually:----
    -script on server creates HTML form for rendering on users browser
    -users interact with form, send results to server
    -server runs the script and process the users choices/ validates the input, updates the db, or fetches new content as required

So if you want to do this, you need to find out what scripting languages your ISP supports and then decide what you want to do. If you are budget restricted then PHP/MYSQL or another db talking to PHP would be a good choice (although other options exist like ruby, Python et al), if budget isn't an issue then other avenues such as ASP come into play, other db's come into play eg SQL server, DB2 Oracle et al.

HTH

Thanks a lot for the swift reply. I'll talk to our people and see if I can take this forward. Thank you for the info