Unanswered: How to find out which type of replication is running

Please anybody knows how to find out which type of replication is running in a system,whether it is regular replication or warm standby.

Also how to check whether the data has been replicated to replicate side or not

Thanks for your assistance.

Ritesh Lal

Check ltype and ptype in rs_databases. Excuse me for not doing it for you, but I only have standard connections, not Warm Standby. All my databases have ltype='P', ptype='A', whether primary or replicate.

Regards,
    Mariano Corral

Quote Originally Posted by corral
    Check ltype and ptype in rs_databases. Excuse me for not doing it for you, but I only have standard connections, not Warm Standby. All my databases have ltype='P', ptype='A', whether primary or replicate.

Regards,
    Mariano Corral

Thanks Mariano for your help.

But my question was how to check which type of replication is running(regular or warm standby) replication.

And also please let me know the me know what does this ltype and ptype in rs_databases represents

Thanks
    Ritesh Lal

ltype and ptype should tell whether a connection is a regular connection or a Warm Standby. Specially ptype, which the Reference Manual describes as "The type of database in a warm standby application", with values
    A the active database
    S the standby database
    L the logical database connection

Regards,
    Mariano Corral

Quote Originally Posted by corral
    ltype and ptype should tell whether a connection is a regular connection or a Warm Standby. Specially ptype, which the Reference Manual describes as "The type of database in a warm standby application", with values
    A the active database
    S the standby database
    L the logical database connection

Regards,
    Mariano Corral

Thanks Mariano for your response,

could you please also let me know how to check whether the data has been replicated to replicate side or not.

Thanks
    Ritesh Lal

Another way to check is

admin logical_status
    go

Anything which gets displayed is warm standby. Rest is table level replication

Quote Originally Posted by Ritesh Lal
    Thanks Mariano for your response,

could you please also let me know how to check whether the data has been replicated to replicate side or not.

Thanks
    Ritesh Lal
    Theres no table level confirmations you can get from Replication Server if thats what you are looking.

If you feel data is not being replicated by select comparison, what you generally do is check for replication definition, subscription and whether a table is marked for replication.

In Primary Server:

sp_setreptable tablename
    go

Should be marked true

In RSSD

rs_helprep
    go

Will give all repdefs known to the replicate server

rs_helprep "repdefname"
    go

If its a single match, it will give more details like what subscriptions you have.

rs_helpsub "subname" will give you details about a subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by trvishi
    Theres no table level confirmations you can get from Replication Server if thats what you are looking.

If you feel data is not being replicated by select comparison, what you generally do is check for replication definition, subscription and whether a table is marked for replication.

In Primary Server:

sp_setreptable tablename
    go

Should be marked true

In RSSD

rs_helprep
    go

Will give all repdefs known to the replicate server

rs_helprep "repdefname"
    go

If its a single match, it will give more details like what subscriptions you have.

rs_helpsub "subname" will give you details about a subscription.

trvishi,

I order to find out whether data has been replicated or not i have to do the select comparison every time from primary table and replicate table.

and how can i check in warmstandby replication since it may contains many users table at primary side.is there any other method to find out ?

Regards
    Ritesh Lal

Quote Originally Posted by Ritesh Lal
    trvishi,

I order to find out whether data has been replicated or not i have to do the select comparison every time from primary table and replicate table.

and how can i check in warmstandby replication since it may contains many users table at primary side.is there any other method to find out ?

Regards
    Ritesh Lal
    No, theres no easy method to 100% guarantee what you want to achieve is what Rep Server is doing because RepServer is flexible in its configuration

Theres a program called rs_subcmp but it basically does what you do manually. which is a select and compare...

Please dont continue all your questions about Replication in the same thread as it will lead to a lot of confusion to people who are searching for answers.

I also suggest you read up on RepServer in the manuals, even better take a course or learn from dbas who know about Replication as its not easy to explain everything in a forum like this.
    Last edited by trvishi; 02-23-08 at 08:05.

Quote Originally Posted by trvishi
    No, theres no easy method to 100% guarantee what you want to achieve is what Rep Server is doing because RepServer is flexible in its configuration

Theres a program called rs_subcmp but it basically does what you do manually. which is a select and compare...

Please dont continue all your questions about Replication in the same thread as it will lead to a lot of confusion to people who are searching for answers.

I also suggest you read up on RepServer in the manuals, even better take a course or learn from dbas who know about Replication as its not easy to explain everything in a forum like this.
    Thanks for all your coaparation.