Unanswered: Pivot Table Layout

Hi - I'm trying to use a pivot table to analyze budget data that is spread out over a 12-month period. The problem is that when I drag the data for each month from the field list into the data field on the Pivot Table layout, the data is shown in only one column vertically. I need to have the data shown in multiple columns going horizontally across -- Oct - Nov - Dec etc. and not

Oct
    Nov
    Dec

Can anyone help me to change the configuration of the layout so that the data is presented horizontally instead of vertically? Any help would be much appreciated.

Howdy, can you post a sample of the data?
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

Pivot Table Layout

Shades - Attached is a sample of the budget file I'm working with. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

With this setup, I'm not sure it will work the way you want. I will try a quick alternative, but....

I will also work on an alternative (using formulas, no Pivot Tables), that will allow rolling 12 month view, no matter how much data you have.
    old, slow, and confused

Rich

By rearranging data, the Pivot works well. Not sure how you receive the data, but this approach requires adding a Month column and then all data is vertical. I also added a dynamic named range, so you can add each month's data below, and the Pivot Table will automatically include (after refresh Pivot button is clicked).
    Last edited by shades; 02-11-08 at 15:21.
    old, slow, and confused

Rich

Pivot Table Layout

HI Schades - Thanks much for your effort. I hadn't thought of putting the monthly data in that fashion, but it works. It will just mean a little more effort to reconfigure the raw data. What is puzzling to me is that the sample pivot table that EXCEL puts out (see attached) shows that quarterly data can be configured in a pivot table to display horizontally and not vertically. It would seem to me that I should be able to configure my monthly data the same way (i.e. by just dragging and dropping each monthly field into the data layout on the pivot table. However, when I try it with my data, I don't get the same result as when I do it with the quarterly data on the sample. And I don't know why. If you can figure it out, please let me know. I hope you're not putting in any extensive effort into the other option of creating formulas. I had no intention of creating work for someone else. However, if you do come up with another alternative, I would very appreciative in seeing it. Thanks, again for you help.