Thread: Pls Help Me! :(

Red face Unanswered: Pls Help Me! :(

Hi all,

I have an SQL database from our old MSSQL server that is in the format of two files, TughDB_Data.MDF, and TughDB_Log.LDF. How can I convert this, WITHOUT RUNNING MSSQL to the MS tape format(.bak) or a standard .sql dump of database.

Are there any pieces of software that allow this, I have search using google, off and on, for a while and have never found a solution -- thought I would try here.

Alternatively, if there simply is no possible way to do it without running SQL, then HOW, using the minimum possible steps with minimum possible complexity, can I do this without having to purchase another SQL license and installing a full server install just to get this converted? I don't want an alternative.. I just want to convert it without touching MSSQL, but I ask this, just in case there simply is *no possible way* to do it without.

My Problem is that the database server keeps rejecting my MDF and LDF files when I tried to upload it

The solutions that I got from my webhosting support centre was as such

You can convert mdf format into the MS tape format(.bak), upload it to your ftp root and we will restore it for you, or convert it to sql format and execute sql script by using MS SQL Server management Studio

I tried and my database seems to be locked, So I replied with this

Apparently, the mdf file seems to be locked. I couldn't open it with MSSQL server management studio express. Therefore, I could not export it to SQL script.

As for the connection to the database, I've already created a database on my server. with a username and password. I'm attaching an error log of the connection from my MSSQL server management studio express when i tried to connect it via the program

and the person replied with this

Dear Aya Juno,

You have to backup your local database on your own PC using MSSQL server management studio express or request binary backup at the previous hosting company side. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

The thing is...I don't understand what all these means
    How do I backup my local database?
    Why does my file seems to be locked?

Sorry if all this qns souds very basic
    THis is my 1st time creating a website and there seems to be many problems already
    BTW: I am using Windows server
    Attached Files Attached Files

The error message says you cannot connect to sql server 2005 because remote connections are not allowed, nothing to do with locked databases?

Why not just re-install the old sql server software, attach the database files and perform the backup (to get .bak file), then uninstall the old sql server software. You wont need a licence for this and you would indeed be extreamly unlucky if the Microsoft licencing police knocked on your door whilst performing the backup....

Quote Originally Posted by SQLSlammer
    The error message says you cannot connect to sql server 2005 because remote connections are not allowed, nothing to do with locked databases?

Why not just re-install the old sql server software, attach the database files and perform the backup (to get .bak file), then uninstall the old sql server software. You wont need a licence for this and you would indeed be extreamly unlucky if the Microsoft licencing police knocked on your door whilst performing the backup....
    Thank you for the suggestion