Unanswered: Temp Tables Created in Stored Procedures

Are they unique to a user/session? Like if 2 users simultaneously run the stored procedure?
    TIA!

Provided Answers: 54
    Yes, temp tables created within a stored procedure can only be accessed within that procedure. Temp tables created within a stored procedure cease to exist when the stored procedure exits.

-PatP

Hi Pat Thanks very much for the reply.
    Just want to be really sure I understand you. If my SP populates the temp table in stages, and say, 2 users ran the SP at slightly different times. User1 is in stage 2 populating the temp table and say has 100 rows inserting 30 additional rows and User2 is only in stage 1 inserting 70 rows at the end of their current stages then User1 and User2 will have 130 rows and 70 rows respectively? As if they have distinct temp tables each.

Exactly correct. If two dozen users each run your stored procedure, and each of them put a unique number of rows into the temp table, then you'd have 24 different temp tables, each with a different set of rows in them.

-PatP

thanks

i have now peace of mind :-)

Provided Answers: 6
    Quote Originally Posted by g11DB
    i have now peace of mind :-)
    where do I get some of that?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Go do something socially unacceptable in front of your aunt. I bet she'll give you a piece of her mind.

-PatP

I do not want to drive to Richmond in the rain. Anyways the really scary aunt would more likely act out with violence instead of a tongue lashing and then there is the whole difficult chore of finding something that would truly offend her.

Oh well I guess I will try the Buddhist Scriptures and meditation again.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus
    where do I get some of that?
    Try looking in dark alleyways for gentlemen wearing trenchcoats...
    George
    Home | Blog

i could take that to mean a few different things. none of which would bring me any peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    Yes, temp tables created within a stored procedure can only be accessed within that procedure.
    The scope is a teeny bit wider than that though.
    Code:
    USE tempdb
    GO

IF EXISTS (SELECT NULL FROM sys.sql_modules WHERE object_id = object_id('dbo.proc_1')) BEGIN
        DROP PROCEDURE dbo.proc_1
    END
    GO

IF EXISTS (SELECT NULL FROM sys.sql_modules WHERE object_id = object_id('dbo.proc_2')) BEGIN
        DROP PROCEDURE dbo.proc_2
    END
    GO

CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.proc_2
    AS

INSERT #t SELECT 1

GO    

CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.proc_1
    AS

CREATE TABLE #t (a INT)

EXEC dbo.proc_2

SELECT    *
        FROM    #t

GO    

EXEC dbo.proc_1

IF EXISTS (SELECT NULL FROM sys.sql_modules WHERE object_id = object_id('dbo.proc_1')) BEGIN
        DROP PROCEDURE dbo.proc_1
    END
    GO

IF EXISTS (SELECT NULL FROM sys.sql_modules WHERE object_id = object_id('dbo.proc_2')) BEGIN
        DROP PROCEDURE dbo.proc_2
    END
    GO

Provided Answers: 10
    Quote Originally Posted by microsoft
    Local temporary tables are visible only in the current session
    How do they define a session then?
    George
    Home | Blog

local temp tables (#) created within a proc (say proc A) can be passed to other procs called by the creating proc (say proc A1, proc A2, etc), but a totally unrelated proc (proc B) started by another process cannot access the local temp table created by Proc A.

However, if proc A creates a global temp table (##), then any proc can access that table. When the last access to that table is closed, then and only then will the global temp table be deleted.

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --

Quote Originally Posted by georgev
    How do they define a session then?
    I don't know nowadays with all this connection pooling malarky but essentially a connection = a session.

SELECT @@SPID gives you your session id. Open up a load of windows in SSMS and execute and you'll get different ids for each (each one over 50).