Question Unanswered: SQL 2K5 Replication with DB Mirroring - Any experience?

Looking for anyone that has had any experience with using SQL Merge replication while mirroring the publisher database. Thinking about doing this as a recovery plan in the event of a publisher failure.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!
    Last edited by donoghuem; 02-15-08 at 11:24.

Michael ... I guess that when you try this it will make you the expert on the subject on DBForums. Please update us with your findings.

As they say in the world of Star Trek -

To Boldly Go Where No One has Gone Before

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --

Provided Answers: 54
    I've done three different mirrored publisher setups using SQL 2005, but only in small and very tightly controlled environments. If you read the Technet article on Replication and Database Mirroring, it gives some of the "gotchas" but seems to gloss over a few that bit us.

For read only clients, it has worked every time without so much as a hickup. This is somewhat sub-optimal for a merge replication configuration, since there isn't much point in having read only subscribers with a merge configuration!

For a configuration with a few servers at widely separated places, with adequate DBA support, this works pretty well. The problem that I've found is that you need someone that understands replication "on deck" at any critical points in time to handle potential replication failures. Those failures seem to happen at the worst possible times (when there is critical business need).

For what it is worth, one installation that I did late last summer involved putting SQL Servers on camera trucks for one of NBC's competitors. I obviously can't comment much on that engagement, but I can say conclusively that it can be done here in the US, and that they plan to extend the technology to their operations overseas in May.

This is a hint. Oh yeah, one other note is that you can NOT mirror the distributor, which means that it needs to either be on a separate machine or on a cluster.

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    I've done three different mirrored publisher setups using SQL 2005, but only in small and very tightly controlled environments. If you read the Technet article on Replication and Database Mirroring, it gives some of the "gotchas" but seems to gloss over a few that bit us.

For read only clients, it has worked every time without so much as a hickup. This is somewhat sub-optimal for a merge replication configuration, since there isn't much point in having read only subscribers with a merge configuration!

For a configuration with a few servers at widely separated places, with adequate DBA support, this works pretty well. The problem that I've found is that you need someone that understands replication "on deck" at any critical points in time to handle potential replication failures. Those failures seem to happen at the worst possible times (when there is critical business need).

For what it is worth, one installation that I did late last summer involved putting SQL Servers on camera trucks for one of NBC's competitors. I obviously can't comment much on that engagement, but I can say conclusively that it can be done here in the US, and that they plan to extend the technology to their operations overseas in May.

This is a hint. Oh yeah, one other note is that you can NOT mirror the distributor, which means that it needs to either be on a separate machine or on a cluster.

-PatP

Thanks Pat. Yes, I've looked over this article already, but wanted to hear from someone with experience. I'm currently merge replicating Databases between the US and China... Would like to use DB mirroring as a backup to a backup to a backup .

Regards,