Unanswered: Opening/Converting unknown database

Hi there I dunno if this is the correct place to ask this.

I got this database that is part of application, I need to convert/migrate it to any other current database like SQL server, the problem is that I dunno the database type, with his current application I know it got stored names and address, from the application I can only export 9999 records at the same time.

The database is a 300mb DAT file.

I have never done anything like this before so Any help or suggestions would be apreciatte, ty.

Database opened with Index Data Suite:
    http://b.imagehost.org/0096/index_data_suite.jpg

Database opened with Hex Editor:
    http://b.imagehost.org/0096/hex_pic.jpg
    Last edited by highlander31; 02-14-08 at 16:58.

Provided Answers: 11
    DAT is not a usual suffix for either an MSSQL data file or a backup file. But since these are not rigid standards, try the following;

1) put the file on a SQL Server (even if this is your laptop)
    2) Run the following code in Query Analyzer (or SQL WorkBench Studio)

Code:
    restore headeronly from disk = 'full path to your file'
    I expect it will give an error something like "unknown format", or similar. If not, then it is an MSSQL server backup file, and it can be restored.

Ty just tried that and I got the unknown format.

I have searching about DAT format but It can be almost anything ;(

Provided Answers: 54
    Just curious, but it would help to know which stork brought this bundle of joy to your desktop. Can you give us any clues?

-PatP

Provided Answers: 6
    let me guess. the new sales guy kept his laptop from the old job which happened to be a competitor.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

The company that hired me bought the Twixtel application, it comes with the database, but they say the GUI it has is too limited, so they asked me to Migrate all the info of the database to a new one, hopefully some SQL server and then built the app.

Highlander31,

I would be careful with this. Taking potentially proprietary data from a purchased/commercial system may not be the smartest thing from a legal standpoint.

I only mention this because the app that you mentioned(TwixTel) has a web page(www.twixtel.ch) and they appear to be a company that is still doing business.

I would check the license agreement very carefully before proceeding in this case.

If this is not the same company, then ignore what I just said.
    Life....Just another opportunity to live another day like a pirate....

Ty for the info, I don`t real sure about what to do now.

The issue that started all this was that Twixtel "GUI" is limited, u can only export up to 9999 records at the same time, since we cannot modify the GUI they tough we could migrate the database and develop a new GUI for it.

Highlander31,

I don't know what type of changes your users wanted to make to the GUI but you might want to make contact with TwixTel. I don't know how they would respond to suggestions for improvement from a customer, but if I were them I would listen to any suggestions from someone using my software. I might not use their suggestion or I might use it as a starting point for a larger change.

As another option, they might be wiling to license the actual data to you so that you could make your own GUI. In this case you should be able to negotiate a delivery format and update schedule. I don't know if they provide this service, but again by suggesting this it may cause them to recognize another revenue stream that they can take advantage of.

Ty for the suggestion but we need to find a solution in short term, cannot wait for that kind of negotations.

Also It the company is not willing to buy the licensed data "again"

Myself don´t know what to do at the moment, maybe a manual export of 9999 records at the time to a new DB, but this will sure take a lot of time for 4 millions records.

Highlander31,

I understand where you are at.

I took a minute to look at the license agreement on the TwixTel site and I would recommend that you and your company look at it. The following would seem to make what they want to do a non-starter.

The CD-ROM contains data only for his own use - even within a company - used, for example, not for commercial resale of addresses. The data may extracts, but not in its entirety on other disks to be copied (the so-called downloading) - (except Hard Disk license), and in any case not only for their own use. The transfer, the change, translation, disassembly, adaptation of the data (software, CD-ROM data, collateral, manuals, etc.) and their derivation and use in other software applications (including the Internet, intranet, extranet, etc.) in any electronic or mechanical form is explicitly not allowed.
    I don't work for these guys(TwixTel) but if I was in your position I would be saying that we can't do what you want to do without working out an arrangement with TwixTel for their data.

Another option is that TwixTel lists the source of all of their data on their web page. You might be able to get that data from the original sources and design your system that way. The down side to that approach is the time involved in getting the data and designing the database to use with your application.

When you look at it like that, talking to TwixTel to get a data license makes more and more sense. I understand that they don't want to pay twice. But, that can also be negotiated. They could use the money that they already spent and apply it to the new agreement. Many, many companies do this for lots of different things.