Exclamation Unanswered: Unable to open a DTS. Help!

Hi all. I'm currently working with SQL Server 2K, and I've installed Analysis Services as well as SP4.

I previously wrote a DTS that had several FTP steps in it. I was able to view/edit/run this package until recently. We were testing out SQL Server '05, and when we uninstalled it, it really screwed up my install of SQL 2k.

Long story short, I've scrubbed the system and reinstalled SQL Server 2K, but am unable to open the DTS package. The error I get is:

Error Source: Microsoft Data Transformation Service (DTS) Package
    Error Description: Unspecified Error

Then a prompt that says:
    The selected package cannot be opened. The DTS Designer has been closed

I've googled like crazy, and have been unable to find any resolution on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by nebulus; 02-15-08 at 14:17.

Ok, small update. I was unaware that NO user was able to access this DTS package. Currently, all our environmetns are running SQL Server 2000 ver. 8.00.2039. Is there any way to access the DTS and at least export the steps?

sp_get_dtspackage

I'm able to pull up the record for that package, but is there a way to get the package data into a readable format?

Quote Originally Posted by nebulus
    I'm able to pull up the record for that package, but is there a way to get the package data into a readable format?
    - Are you able to open any DTS packages, or is it just this one failing?
    - If it's a local package, are the results the same regardless of the version of the DTS package you're trying to open?
    - Have you tried reinstalling SQL Server 2005 and migrating the package in SSIS?
    - Is there any relevant information in the errorlog file?

Check version of CustTask.dll in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\ folder on your machine. Most likely it is newer than the version on the server. If so, copy the file from the server and over-write the one on your local machine. You do not have to register it.

Note: DTS packages with FTP tasks that were created with the newer version of custtask.dll can't be opened with the older version.