Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7

    Question Unanswered: Oracle instances

    Hello,
    I'm rather new to the world of Oracle so please bear with me...

    The product is Oracle 10g standard edition and it will be installed on a windows XP machine.

    I want to create 3 instances of a DB... Is this just a matter of installing the product with 3 different Oracle home directories? If not, how are the other instances created? I saw some documentation but none seems to mention the scenario of creating multiple instances.

    Any input would be appreicated.


    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,935
    Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy2
    I want to create 3 instances of a DB... Thanks
    Why? Different instances are rarely needed.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by shammat
    Why? Different instances are rarely needed.
    1. test instance
    2. staging instance
    3. production

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Liverpool, NY USA
    Posts
    2,509
    Staging and test would be fine on a single server, but I would never put my production database on the same server. Using different servers, you can test OS patches and database patches with no chance of harm to your production server. and your test and staging instances will not drag down the production instance.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,935
    Provided Answers: 12
    I agree with beilstwh. Test and staging can simply be two different schemas (users) on the same instance. Production should be a different server anyway.

    I assume you are coming from a MS SQL Background where you would have used different databases for test and staging. A user (schema) in Oracle is basically the same as a database in MS SQL Server

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dominican Republic
    Posts
    721
    He never stated all of their instances would go to a single OS (i.e. he could well be using some virtual machine for each).

    Anyway, HARDWARE RESOURCES will be among the things you will *probably* be limited on a single server machine.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7
    Thanks guys, but the issue of the instances residing on one server versus two, is not my decision and is distracting from my original question....


    Is this just a matter of installing the product with 3 different Oracle home directories? If not, how are the other instances created?



    Thanks

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    253
    Hi,
    I believe that you may be misusing (abusing) the term Instance. What do you understand the term to mean (within an Oracle context). I am guesssing that you actually want to simply build 3 databases.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by pablolee
    Hi,
    I believe that you may be misusing (abusing) the term Instance. What do you understand the term to mean (within an Oracle context). I am guesssing that you actually want to simply build 3 databases.
    My understanding of an "instance", is that it's the same DB, with all the same structures and data essentially. Again, I'm not entirely familiar with Oracle concepts. Basically I was told there need to be 3 "instances" of the DB. A test environment, a staging environment and a production environment. They all reside onthe same server (again, not my decision).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    253
    No, an Instance is the Memory structures and processes of Oracle server. Oracle Server consists of 2 main structures
    Instance - The meomory structures and processes
    Database - The physical files(specifically database files (*.dbf), control_files (*.ctl) and Redo_log_files (*.rdo) Note there are other files such as parameter and password but these are strictly speaking, NOT part of database
    Multiple instances for the same db would imply that you are running Real Application Clusters (RAC) which is a whole other can of worms
    This mis-understanding is obviously someone else's fault as you were asked for 3 Instances.
    My concern is the fact that are setting up a production DB whilst unfamiliar with basic concepts (This is not meant as any kind of sleight on you, just a statement of fact).
    Is this by any chance some kind of College/ University assignment? If it is a business assignment I would strongly suggest that you put down the keyboard and step calmly away from the monitor, then go and do some reading on at least the concepts and the relevant sections of the admin guides.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by pablolee
    No, an Instance is the Memory structures and processes of Oracle server. Oracle Server consists of 2 main structures
    Instance - The meomory structures and processes
    Database - The physical files(specifically database files (*.dbf), control_files (*.ctl) and Redo_log_files (*.rdo) Note there are other files such as parameter and password but these are strictly speaking, NOT part of database
    Multiple instances for the same db would imply that you are running Real Application Clusters (RAC) which is a whole other can of worms
    This mis-understanding is obviously someone else's fault as you were asked for 3 Instances..
    I see.

    Quote Originally Posted by pablolee
    My concern is the fact that are setting up a production DB whilst unfamiliar with basic concepts (This is not meant as any kind of sleight on you, just a statement of fact). .
    No problem, no offence taken.

    Quote Originally Posted by pablolee
    Is this by any chance some kind of College/ University assignment? If it is a business assignment I would strongly suggest that you put down the keyboard and step calmly away from the monitor, then go and do some reading on at least the concepts and the relevant sections of the admin guides.
    No, not a colllege assignment but work-related. I'll refer to the relevant documentation. Thanks for the feedback and input.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    253
    No problem at all. If you need any clarification on what the docs say, just post. Enjoy

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,800
    Provided Answers: 11
    Getting back to the original question, a single Oracle Home can support multiple distinct databases/instances, so multiple Oracle Homes is not required, unless you want the flexibility of testing an Oracle patch.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •