Unanswered: Help Opening 2 Diff Recordsets to Populate Word Tables

I am trying to create a word form letter from Access 2003 - I almost have it working except for 1 issue

Any help is appreciated..

I have 2 tables in the word doc table 1 and Table 2

I am using the code below to create a word doc based on a template, and loop thru a recordset and fill in the names of Directors

What I really need to do is to open 2 diff recordsets and loop thru the tables - filling the names in as needed
    if I use the first block of code below (create form letters) - it works well
    except if one person holds 2 offices - i get them in the signature block twice

So I need to loop thru 1 recordet to populate table 1
    then another to populate the sigs needed in table 2

The diff is that if any one person holdsmorethan one office - I only want them in the sig table once

word doc example ---------------------

Table 1 shows a list of directors (uses a query named qryEntities_Directors)

Name Office

John Smith President
    Sarah Ryan Vice resident
    Sara Ryan Treasurer

at the bottom is a list of signatures
    (I want this to open a recordset based on a diff query that shows Distinct Directors)
    If Sarah Ryan Holds 2 Offices - Then I only want to show her once

By _________________ John Smith

By _________________ Sarah Ryan

code below ---------------------

Private Sub CreateFormLetter()

'move info to Word Form Letter

Dim WordObj As Word.Application
    Dim db As Database
    Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset
    Dim rs2 As New ADODB.Recordset
    Set WordObj = CreateObject("Word.Application")
    Set db = CurrentDb()
    Dim ID, Criteria
    Dim objTable As Table
    Dim objTableB As Table
    Dim intNumRows As Integer
    Dim i As Integer

With WordObj
    .Visible = True

DoEvents

'add word doc based on a template

Dim strDocAdd As String

strDocAdd = "C:\templates\DirectorsResolution.dot"

.Documents.Add strDocAdd

DoEvents

Dim strSQL As String

strSQL = "SELECT * from qryEntities_Directors"
    rs.Open strSQL, CurrentProject.Connection, adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic

DoEvents

Set objTable = .ActiveDocument.Tables(1)
    Set objTableB = .ActiveDocument.Tables(2)

i = 2

Do While Not rs.EOF

i = i + 1

'selects the third cell (leaves titles) and populates table 1 with director names/titles)

objTable.Cell(i, 1).Range.Text = rs("cName")
    objTable.Cell(i, 2).Range.Text = rs("Title")
    objTable.Cell(i, 2).Select
    .Selection.InsertRowsBelow NumRows:=1

' I can uncomment the code below to populate the signatures in table 2 - except one person may hold 2 offices
    ' and I only want them in the signature table once

' objTableB.Cell(i, 1).Select
    '.Selection.TypeText Text:="By:"
    '.Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCell
    '.Selection.TypeText Text:="___________________________________"
    '.Selection.TypeParagraph
    '.Selection.TypeText Text:=" " & rs("cName")
    'objTableB.Cell(i, 1).Select
    '.Selection.InsertRowsBelow NumRows:=1

rs.MoveNext

Loop

' Call SetSigs - I was thinking of calling another function to open a 2nd recordset?

' Clean up.
    Set objDoc = Nothing
    Set objTable = Nothing
    Set objTableB = Nothing

End With

' will use this code when finished to save the doc with a unique name - got that part ok when needed

'.ActiveDocument.Close
    ' Set WordDoc = Nothing

'.ActiveDocument.SaveAs "C:\NewDoc.doc"
    'End With

rs.Close

End Sub

--------------------------------------------------

Private Sub SetSigs()

here is where I need to open a diff recordset - distinct names to populate the signature table (table 2)

'----

Dim rs2 As New ADODB.Recordset
    'Set WordObj = CreateObject("Word.Application")
    Set db = CurrentDb()
    Dim ID, Criteria
    Dim objTable As Table
    Dim objTableB As Table
    Dim intNumRows As Integer
    Dim i As Integer
    With WordObj

Dim strSQL2 As String

strSQL2 = "SELECT * from qryEntities_Directors_Distinct"

rs2.Open strSQL2, CurrentProject.Connection, adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic

DoEvents

'Set objTable = .ActiveDocument.Tables(1)
    Set objTableB = .ActiveDocument.Tables(2)

i = 0

Do While Not rs2.EOF

i = i + 1

objTableB.Cell(i, 1).Select
    .Selection.TypeText Text:="By:"
    .Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCell
    .Selection.TypeText Text:="___________________________________"
    .Selection.TypeParagraph
    .Selection.TypeText Text:=" " & rs2("cName")
    .Selection.TypeParagraph
    .Selection.TypeParagraph
    .Selection.TypeParagraph
    objTableB.Cell(i, 1).Select
    .Selection.InsertRowsBelow NumRows:=1

rs2.MoveNext

Loop

End With

End Sub
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tables.jpg  
    Last edited by abinboston; 02-19-08 at 02:41. Reason: attached file

Provided Answers: 59
    not kn owing your data or table layout, I'd of thought a select distinct should do the job. but you need to identify the two elements that make a specific row unique, I'm presuming in this case thats going to be company AND director, although you may get away with just
    select distinct(directorid), myothercolumns from mytable where companyid=blah

incidentally I think for a question like this posting the whole of you code is not helping you. It makes your post very long to read, in this case it doesn't really help the nature fo the problem, although the SQL & table design may have been more pertinent. Its a difficult line to travel how much detail to put in the post. In my view there should be as much as possible, without drowning out the problem with redundant or irrelevant stuff.. effectively for this question all the word automation is irrelevant.

because the post is quite long some people may just look at it and say I can't be bothered, or if the OP can't be bothered to think about the problem, why should I.
    Last edited by healdem; 02-19-08 at 03:27.

I see lots of code, but not sure of why you have two tables.
    I also searched the code you posted for the words "if" or "dcount". I encourage you to read about Dcount and Dlookup in Help.

Not understanding the structure of what you are doing, here is a suggestion from which you may glean an idea. Can you make one recordset, and based on the data you get on each loop refer to the other table for additional information? If needed, use the data referenced in table2. Move on to the next record.
    John
    This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.

jpshay - thanks for the reply. My recordsets/queries do return the records as needed - all for the first one and a distinct selection on the second.

The idea of 2 tables is this

Since we do not know th enumber of officers - the .dot template has a table with 1 row - as the recordset loops - it inserts as many rows as needed in the .doc file created. The table is also located in the document where it belongs.

Then at the very end of the document - the signatures of each officer need to be there. Same as above - we do not know how many there may be - so the table in the .dot file has 1 row, and x no of rows are inserted as needed. This is also located in the document where it belongs. (the image is not the whole document - just the table portions)

Again - the tables are not the issue - I have that working fine. What I need to figure out is the correct syntax to open the 2nd recordset and populate table 2

If I use the firset recordset - it all works - except I get dupes in table 2 if one person holds 2 offices. So a 2nd recordset to o a distinct selection works - but I amhaving issues with the looping????

Thanks - AB

The problem is that I am sketchy as to how, and when to open the 2nd recordset.

Thanks - AB

I cleaned up your code. I deleted vast white spaces, unused variables, unnecessary items, and lots of lines of comments. That clean up is attached. After examining it, I don't understand what is failing. The second function looks like it should work, expecially if you are creating a recordset based on the a query that is distinct.

Note: This line strSQL = "SELECT * from qryEntities_Directors" could just include the actual SLQ that equals the query.

When to call the functions? I would call function CreateFormLetter() then call SetSigs(). Unless you have a big bundle of these items. For example, if you have a hundred customers, then you need a bigger loop for all of this. The big loop would go through its criteria, and your inside recordsets would need to be built off of the current customer name.
    Attached Files Attached Files