Red face Unanswered: Jet Database Engine Stopped the Process

I have a relatively simple database that is housed on a shared drive. Three of us use the database to enter data and generate some basic reports. Right now, none of us can open the database and we get the following error:

The Microsoft Jet Database Engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time.

Can anyone offer any solutions as to how I can open this .mdb file?

Is there an ldb file in the same directory and with the same name as the mdb file? If so, try deleting it.

If all else fails you could quit your job.
    But before that, if all else fails, you could create a new database and import all the objects from the unresponsive db.

good luck

can't get the file to open at all

I can't get into the .mdb to see if there is a .ldb there, I guess I could recreate the database, but if I can get the darn thing open, I can fix it. Does anyone know of a wat to get the .mdb file open? Actually there is only one other file in the directory, and that is the shortcut to the .mdb file.

Quote Originally Posted by robert.cox
    I can't get into the .mdb to see if there is a .ldb there, I guess I could recreate the database, but if I can get the darn thing open, I can fix it. Does anyone know of a wat to get the .mdb file open? Actually there is only one other file in the directory, and that is the shortcut to the .mdb file.
    There MAY be an LDB file, with the same base name as the Access file, located in the same folder as the access data file. If there is, try deleting it.

Make a backup copy of the database.

Then, try opening up the backup.

If this fails, try post number 8 in the Access FAQ at the top of the Access forum....

Also, try copying the database to your local hard disk, and
    msaccess.exe /decompile C:\Path\FileName.mdb
    Last edited by loquin; 02-19-08 at 18:42.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

Which version of Access are you talking about?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/182867

You can also try
    1. Backup the user databases to a different folder.
    2. Open Microsoft Access, but do not open a database. Cancel from the window prompting to open a database.
    3. Select Tools > Database Utilities > Compact and Repair Database.
    4. Locate and select the schema repository database (.mdb) and press the Compact button.
    5. In the next box it will ask for a name to save this compacted version to. Since the database were already backed up in step #1, point to the same database name again and press the Save button. A message will appear stating:
      The file xxxxxx.mdb already exists. Do you wish to replace the existing file?
      Press the Yes button.
    6. Try opening the user database.
    7. Combining the above 6 steps with the first link, look for invalid data in any tables containing OLE objects or Memo fields. Delete the corrupt data if found.
    Last edited by loquin; 02-19-08 at 18:57.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert