Hello dBforums !!

Hello all, I was previously unaware of such a place for an excellent compilation of personal experiences and help in the database field. I am in the Debian&FreeBSD world for a few years now full time and I have recently become absolutely fascinated with XML in my journey to create a MSN(or multi-protocol) chat client. My fascination with databases came naturally for wanting an optimized contact listing and logging system organized to my discretion. so my choice will be searching this forum for embedded database material
    I'm only 20 year of age currently, and my favourite compiled programming language is Ada, my favourite interpreted language is Ruby, and XML for markup of course So an XML database especially modelled on Berkeley DB has become the reason for searching the planet for information regarding XML based storage in an integrated XML based database system.

Nice to sort of meet you all and thank you for all the info that is here for public research and interaction!! Id gladly like any advise concerning XML & databases or using embedded libraries that can handle XML data with structure. Hope to join you all in discussion from now on!

Welcome to the forum!
    It's nice to finally find a user my age who is not a student (I'm assuming!).

Just a quick side: XML is not a storage mechanism, it's a transfer mechanism. Nothing beats a good old fashioned RDBMS
    George
    Home | Blog

Well as I will be a student on exactly May 5th in a University in Toronto Canada, BUT at current time, no I'm not a student
    Hmm well I'm basically either looking at a way to use XML files or multiple files together with an engine that will query as I need in real-time, OR either have a predefined file and create some storage file/index based on it to use for referral. Either way is fine but I want to know which method will suit the needs. I'm particularly looking for an embedded(In-memory) database system since i want it application integrated. SQLite or Berkeley DB both seem like the choices i have. I don't quite care about code size as long as its reasonable for inclusion in a program that is below say 15 MB in size.
    XML seems quite attractive because it structure is EXACTLY what I need and envision in order to reach my messenger client goal, whether XML be an on-disk quick start method so lists don't have to be fully re-downloaded by servers each time, and it will also store logs of chat conversations by time per person.

Am I understanding your point correctly or is my way to the end-result flawed in terms of database thinking? I'd much rather know the right way asap georgev

Dare I ask which university you'll be attending in Toronto? Good luck to you, regardless of your pick. I hope you have your housing plans lined up already (and that if stops bloody well SNOWING by then, I can't believe we're getting more snow AGAIN!!!!)
    When it rains, it pours.

Smile Rcc

Well rockingred the university I shall be attending on May 5th is RCC (Radio College of Canada) but its a university. They had some odd takeover buyout from the states a year or so back, but the reason being, when I lived much more north than now lol, the was a sysadmin that managed all of the north shore (lake superior) area and school-board, which was where I was at the time. conversing with him and hearing such high class knowledge he had, I was compelled to ask just where he went to school. Turn out, it's this RCC I mentioned, and it the best technology oriented school in Canada, as it is ONLY for technology, but sadly as it has 3 semesters per year instead of only 2, I get to pay the lovely price of 1.5x more than common schools, BUT I get done my degree in under 3 years, and will have a post-diploma in 3 & 1/3 years totalling 2 diploma's, 1 degree, and 1 post-diploma. Not shabby I said So here I am now heading me way down withing the next couple months, and no I have not found residence there yet... you see that part is considered transactional atomicity lol. No OSAP shall mean redundant housing, which I rather do in "order of operation". So hopefully that gave a quick overview of where I'm going to play.

P.S. I don't even notice it snow anymore :P ..... It all blends into the background

Until next time !

I honestly don't know anyone who went to RCC, so I can't comment on how good / bad they might be. However, you will probably want to start looking for a residence in April at the latest, so you can move in on May 1st and not have to worry about finding accomadations while signing up for courses. You also will want to get a head start on the campus itself, learn your way around the buildings, so you're not rushing around at the last possible moment trying to figure out where you are.
    When it rains, it pours.

Yes indeed, I plan to move there VERY early in order to have time to settle and acquainted with the new area, I am planning on the migration in mid-April. So I can meet people and integrate in my environment (unpacking). It is so very exciting though, as so far I do definitely enjoy such topics It's almost philosophical in magnitude. And one thing I truly love is philosophy. Well it does also seem that many people from this forum are Canadian! could I ask what the state is of employment in the database field there?

Thanks for all the suggestions and nice talking to u Farewell

When you do pick your residence, pick one that is within walking distance of a grocery store. You won't believe how much time and money you will save if you can manage that one little trick. If you can also manage to pick one within walking distance of the RCC campus, you'll be golden.

As far as the "state of employment", it all depends on the language. I know "Pick" (Universe, Unidata, JBase, etc), unfortunatly it didn't get enough support from it's creators in the beginning and is dying out because of this. It seems as if all positions in my field are outside of the Toronto area (Ajax, Mississauga, etc)
    When it rains, it pours.