Unanswered: Exporting To Access Very Slow

Has anyone else exported data to Access? If so, is it a slow process in SQL Server 2005?

I am exporting 3,000 records to an Access database using a view and it has taken 20 minutes. I am using the Export Data wizard. Any tips on how to speed it up would be appreciated.

Provided Answers: 6
    just a shot in the dark here, but does someone have the Access file open? If you view hidden files, do you see a *.ldb file?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

how about this. How long does your view take to execute in the Query Analyzer? It might be that the view just has to be tuned.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

The view executes very quickly, a couple of seconds. The database is not in use, has three tables and two reports in it (size 11,000 Kb). I am just exporting it to a file so I can send the data and the report to a colleague. I do it periodically and it is annoyingly slow.

why don't you turn you access thing into a Access Data Project that talks to SQL Server directly and then you can run your report in Access directly off of the SQL Server data. Then there is no need for that pesky slow export.

Because the Access file will not have access to the SQL Server database once I email it to my colleague. The Access database has to contain all the objects I need, tables, reports, modules, etc.

the good old sneakernet. have fun with that.

what are you using to do the export? Is Access pulling the data or is the SQL server pushing the data?