Question Unanswered: Installing Oracle

dear everybody,
    am a computer science student, studying the database course on oracle this semester..

I need to install oracle 10g to start preparing my practical lab and sessions but all my teacher assistants advised me not to download oracle as they say it does a lot of problems and that it might get my windows down.

i'm a windows XP user , do u recommend me to install another operating system on my machine to use oracle on it?? can i install 2 instances of windows XP on the same machine so that each one of them would work independent from the other ? so as to make sure my other work is safe from oracle's problems??

what other restrictions do i have to take care of when installing Oracle 10g??
    are there any other oracle versions safer than that 10g that can help me in preparing my labs without taking the risk of all the problems i heard about??
    what about Oracle XE? what is it? and how does it differ from other versions , i knew it is a free one...

sorry for the long post but i'm really confused , don't know the right thing to do... i need an advice from someone more experienced than me..
    thanks in advance
    Best Regards...
    Last edited by swan_lake; 02-23-08 at 08:54.

Provided Answers: 4
    Don't believe everything you hear.

Could these "assistants" be more precise? What "lot of problems" do they expect?

As far as I can tell (but don't believe me either!), download, install and enjoy in Oracle 10g Express Edition (from the Download section of the Oracle Technology Network). You'll find 10g XE home page (documentation) there as well.

10g XE is certified with MS Windows XP, so - under normal circumstances, you shouldn't have any problems.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Littlefoot
    Don't believe everything you hear.

Could these "assistants" be more precise? What "lot of problems" do they expect?

It doesn't go well with java , as it works on a certain java version. 1.4 , frankly am not that sure about the exact version.

Provided Answers: 4
    I'd say that "it doesn't go well with Java" <> "lot of problems".

In my opinion, if you know nothing about Oracle, XE might be the right choice for you. Otherwise, you may download and install ANY available Oracle database version (why not even 11g?) - it is free for educational purposes.

Thank u very much , i would follow ur advice.
    Best regards,

Oracle XE is made to be installed by an amateur. Simply download the software, run it, answer three questions on passwords and that's it. When it's done the database is up and running.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.