Unanswered: problem connecting on linux-oracle with slplus

There are two oracle server with oracle linux.

on the first one i can connect via sqlplus user/username@sid
    or even just via user/username.

this doesn't work on the second one. here i have to connect via user/username@instancename. (sid is different from instance-name in that case).

When i type 'set', i can see that on both servers the oracle_sid is set correctly. I should connect on the second server via via sqlplus user/username@sid also. Any idea what's going wrong with the second server.

The ORACLE_SID is different from the instance name?

The instance name is the ORACLE_SID!

Although you wouldn't want to do it, you can set the ORACLE_SID to anything you like as long as you supply the name of the parameter file to use.

Are you confusing the ORACLE_SID with the OracleNet connect string
    What error message do you get?

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    When the connection string includes @tns_alias, then SQL*Net is used to complete the connection; regardless of client or server location.

When connection string does NOT include the at sign character, then the BEQ protocol is used & you MUST be physically logged onto the database server system itself.
    When logged directly on to the DB server system then you'll connect to the database specified by ORACL_SID variable;
    except when the TWO_TASK variable is defined.

rather than trying to describe in words & paraphrasing what you think is happening, it is better to use SQL*Plus and the cut & paste your actual commands & complete Oracle responses so we can see for ourselves exactly what you are seeing.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.