Unanswered: Trouble with Forms

I have a table with clients and a table with employees. I want to enter (using a form currently) the number of hours each employee spent with a particular client. Right now, each client has 1 employee assigned to them to provide service. How can I enter the hours a client received from a specific employee without choosing from a drop down list? I would like to be able to create a form in which I enter the client's name and the appropriate employee is credited with having provided the number of hours I enter. Any advice on this (including the suggestion to enter a different line of work) would be appreciated...

Provided Answers: 10
    Can you describe how your entities (employee, clients, etc) relate?
    Try describe your tables as best as possible
    George
    Home | Blog

Provided Answers: 59
    sounds like list boxes will probanly be the way to go

one to indentify the hours (So im guessing you will only allow time in individual blocks say hourly or quarter hourly)
    another to identify the client
    another to identify the employee(s).

the client & employee combos will probably be combo boxes
    the employee list box allows multi select (there may be one or more employee assigned to a client), The should only be one client assigned in anyone meetings.
    |If you have a lot of clients then a search may be more appropriate thatn a list box.... I wouldnt' want to use the listbox approach for say more than 100..500 clients (reason: performance), but you could then go down the Web2 type approach and do a search based on the first (or first 2..3 letters)) and fill the combo box based on what they type.

Quote Originally Posted by georgev
    Can you describe how your entities (employee, clients, etc) relate?
    Try describe your tables as best as possible
    Georgev,

I have employees which can be designated as tutors or testers or both. I have clients that need a tutor and a tester assigned to them. It can be the same employee or a different employee. When I assign a tutor to a student, i don't want that student to be assignable to another tutor. I would then like to track, once assigned to a student, how many hours the tutor worked. Then I would like to track how many hours a student was tutored.

Tables:
    Tutors 1-m Tutor_Assignments m-1 Assignments 1-m Student_Assignments m-1 Students
    Tutors: ID, Firstname, Lastname
    Tutor_Assignments: ID, TutorID, Assignment ID
    Assignments:ID, Student, Tutor
    Student_Assignments: ID, StudentID, Assignment ID
    Students: ID, Firstname, Lastname

I cannot figure out if i have the right relationships (I may not understand, or be able to apply my understanding of, the concept...)
    I cannot seem to be able to get the information i want to be available when i make assignments.
    I cannot figure out the best method for tracking hours.

Hopefully this is a useful description...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    sounds like list boxes will probanly be the way to go

one to indentify the hours (So im guessing you will only allow time in individual blocks say hourly or quarter hourly)
    another to identify the client
    another to identify the employee(s).

the client & employee combos will probably be combo boxes
    the employee list box allows multi select (there may be one or more employee assigned to a client), The should only be one client assigned in anyone meetings.
    |If you have a lot of clients then a search may be more appropriate thatn a list box.... I wouldnt' want to use the listbox approach for say more than 100..500 clients (reason: performance), but you could then go down the Web2 type approach and do a search based on the first (or first 2..3 letters)) and fill the combo box based on what they type.

Healdem,

Thanks. I would input the hours worked into one table on one form, let's say hoursworked, and on another select for each employee the correct number of hours worked?

I don't think i repeated that anywhere close to what you meant... Using combo boxes has helped, but I don't think i used them in the way you intended...