Unanswered: How to start SQLServerAgent Regualrly

I need to start the SQLServerAgent because I have a need to install a backup procedure that will run regularly. but I need to also make the Agent service be set up to autostart with the PC. If I go
    into ControlPanel...Services I can do this manually, but how to do it
    programmatically? Is there a command line command like net start that can do the trick, or can I direct SQL Server to do it through a TSQL procedure?

Provided Answers: 6
    in sql server 2K there are check boxes for this in the SQL Server Agent Properties under the advanced tab.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus
    in sql server 2K there are check boxes for this in the SQL Server Agent Properties under the advanced tab.

thanks..... this will be work for only workgroup server/ client network....and not working for domian(windows configuration)/client network... if u can tell me a solution

How so? If you change the startup type on the SQLServerAgent servive to automatic and you check those 2 checkboxes in Enterprise Manager, you should be covered.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

while i am trying to statr sql serveragent automatically, system shows this message....
    SQLSERVERAGENT Service on Local Computer Started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if thay have no wotk to do eg. The performance Logs and Alert Services

check the NT event log for errors - there's probably an error there saying why it couldn't start.

also you can check the agent's own log, which is in a file called SQLAGENT.OUT, stored somewhere like this, depending on where you installed sql server:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG

what version of sql is this?

Can't you just set up the sqlagent service to start automatically?

Go to control panel -> Administrative toools -> Services.

Look for the SQLAgent Service. Right Click and select properties. Select Automatic for Startup Type.
    Last edited by estefex; 02-27-08 at 17:52.

What account is the agent running as?