Thread: Mcdba

Unanswered: Mcdba

Hi,

I have been a DBA for about 5 years now but I have never considered getting MCDBA certification until now..

Is it worth doing?

Whats the best way to revise for the exam? i.e are there any free online tests ect?

I've been doing this crap for 15 years, and the only certification I ever got was Novell CNE back in ye oldern days. I don't think anything substitutes for experience. I personally think certification is good for those that do not have much work experience.

Are you (or will you be) looking for a new position with another company?
    Will you get a large pay raise?
    Will others hold you in high esteem, fall down at your feet, and pledge to be your minion?

Any one of the above answered yes might make it worth it.

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --

I am a contractor so always keeping an eye on the job market tbh

I dont think it will make any difference to my wages, but it may make a difference to my ability to be put forward for more roles.

I was reading a forum earlier an someone was saying they couldn't get a job because everyone is always asking for Microsoft qualifications, so I was wondering if that market is changing and experience is not held in such high regard anymore.

Provided Answers: 10
    prospective employers who aren't IT savvy often see qualifications over experience (think about the last person from HR who interviewd you ).

Employers who know what they're loking for don't care about certificates, they just need to know you can do the job; which is where experience is where it's at.

So having both can't be a bad thing; especialy as a contractor, because you "move jobs" more often than most of us!
    George
    Home | Blog

Provided Answers: 6
    how many times must we have the same old discussion about this...

http://www.dbforums.com/query.php?do...RID%3A11&hl=en

I imagine the MCDBA tests will be retired soon anyways. Whats the new one? MCITP or something. I never read the MCP newsletter.

I have the SQL Server half of the MCDBA. I am a MCP only because I was working for a MS partner and they needed a certain number of us so I took the tests.

Does it help the phone ring when you are circulating resumes? Yes it does. Did it come up during my interview with MS? Yes. Did it help with the more advanced questions MS asked? Not really. Does it make you a competent professional? Not really. I have worked with a couple I would not put in charge of maintaining a spreadsheet.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Aw Sean, you said I could start working with Excel soon!
    George
    Home | Blog

Provided Answers: 6
    George, at the last gig I would have have traded this woman with both a MCDBA and a MCSD for you any day of the week and doubled your salary to boot. I could have probably have gotten rid of the other useless one with a graduate degree in CS too.

FACT

Although, we would have had to talk about your excessive message boarding habit while at work.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

That almost sounds like an offer
    If I get travel expenses then you're on!
    George
    Home | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by tomh53
    Will others hold you in high esteem, fall down at your feet, and pledge to be your minion?
    Dear God - it said nothing about this last time I looked on the MS site! Courses locked and loaded.

I'm an MCP (MCTS SQL Server). Would like to do the MCITP (SQL Server Admin) - this is the modern DBA qual. Part of the reason is that it would force me to get a good theoretical understanding of some stuff I have no experience of (high availablility for example). The irony is that this is exactly the reason why these things should have very little credence in the professional world - I will have a piece of paper "proving" competence at something I have zero experience in.

In my particular case, it's worth it to get the cert since I am also a contractor and move around quite a bit, as well as getting perks from my contracting firm for doing so.

Personally, in my experience, MCDBA and such is a decent way to get your foot in the door of a career path, or to get a broad overview of the tech involved. It doesen't teach you how to be a good DBA. Only experience can do that. It's not a bad place to start.

-D.

Edit: 2008.02.27.08:29 for spelling. For starting work at 6:00, you'd think I'd be awake now. Srsly. :-)