Unanswered: Help with Restore data warehouse

Hi all,

I am trying to restore my data warehouse from a January 2008 backup under a new name to recover a table that I accidentally deleted. It is taking a long time for the restore to get done. Here is the command I am running as sa in QA

---

RESTORE DATABASE Warehouse_new FROM DISK = 'H:\MSSQL\Data\MSSQL\BACKUP\DBBackups\Warehouse\Wa rehouse_db_200801050600.BAK'
    WITH
    MOVE 'Warehouse_Data' TO 'G:\MSSQL\Data\MSSQL\Data\Warehouse_New_Data.MDF',
    MOVE 'Warehouse_Log' TO 'H:\MSSQL\Data\MSSQL\Logs\Warehouse_New_Log.ldf'

----

There Warehouse_New_Data.MDF is 375 GB and the log is 12 GB.

There is still 169 GB of free space on the drive I am restoring to after the presence of Warehouse_Data.MDF and Warehouse_New_Data.MDF (each 375 GB).

Its been 4.5 hrs and the restore is still running. Backups take about 3.5 hrs to complete. Can I do any checks on the restore to see what point it is at? I stopped the restore using EM earlier after it took 8 hours and still no progress.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by vivek_vdc
    Hi all,

I am trying to restore my data warehouse from a January 2008 backup under a new name to recover a table that I accidentally deleted. It is taking a long time for the restore to get done. Here is the command I am running as sa in QA

---

RESTORE DATABASE Warehouse_new FROM DISK = 'H:\MSSQL\Data\MSSQL\BACKUP\DBBackups\Warehouse\Wa rehouse_db_200801050600.BAK'
    WITH
    MOVE 'Warehouse_Data' TO 'G:\MSSQL\Data\MSSQL\Data\Warehouse_New_Data.MDF',
    MOVE 'Warehouse_Log' TO 'H:\MSSQL\Data\MSSQL\Logs\Warehouse_New_Log.ldf'

----

There Warehouse_New_Data.MDF is 375 GB and the log is 12 GB.

There is still 169 GB of free space on the drive I am restoring to after the presence of Warehouse_Data.MDF and Warehouse_New_Data.MDF (each 375 GB).

Its been 4.5 hrs and the restore is still running. Backups take about 3.5 hrs to complete. Can I do any checks on the restore to see what point it is at? I stopped the restore using EM earlier after it took 8 hours and still no progress.

Please advise.

Thanks.
    Should've added with stats=10 so you at least can see what is going on every 10 percent, usually the first (if db not already created) step takes the longest since it needs to extend and allocate space. I've waited > 3hrs with a 70GB database, when restoring to a machine with SATA drives. The same restore takes 13 mins on a clustered host with 15000 RPM raid 0+1 SAN drives.
    Check sp_who2 for restore database status on connection.
    Last edited by PMASchmed; 02-28-08 at 12:24.