Thread: Query Questions

Unanswered: Query Questions

I have created a report base on a query. And on Query or report I want to remove all entry with “Set-Up Charge” under Comment field (Memo). I tried < >”Set-Up Charge” but it shows all the comments with the “Set-Up Charge”. Is there any other way to do it? I have 2 other criterias on two different fields (type the customer name) (Balance >0). Everything works except for the Memo Field.

I heard about bad things about Memo Data Type that it cannot be sorted. Can I convert Memo to Text since max characters I may have on that field is 15 characters?

How do you exclude multiple items in query under one field. Example to exclude "FAI", "Source Inspection" And "Expedite". I tried <>"FAI"- it works with single item but when I tried <> "FAI" And "Source Inspection" And "Expedite" it brings out the query with column header and no data. I tried it with Not like "FAI"..... and it does the same thing.
    HELP!

Access 2000
    Vista
    Thanks,
    John

How do you exclude multiple items in query under one field. Example to exclude "FAI", "Source Inspection" And "Expedite". I tried <>"FAI"- it works with single item but when I tried <> "FAI" And "Source Inspection" And "Expedite" it brings out the query with column header and no data. I tried it with Not like "FAI"..... and it does the same thing.
    HELP!
    Using <>"Something" is fine. You just put one criteria below other, and so on.. Switch to SQL view to see how it converts to SQL statement of your desires.

Provided Answers: 10
    In terms of SQL
    Code:
    WHERE  someField <> "FAI"
    AND    someField <> "Source Inspection"
    AND    someField <> "Expedite"

or...........

WHERE  someField NOT IN ("FAI", "Source Inspection", "Expedite")
    George
    Home | Blog

Thanks- it works for multiple items in the query with the Text Data Field. But it doesn't work for the Memo field. Any suggestions?
    Thanks again!

You can't really do searches on a memo field. One work-around I found was to copy the memo field contents into a string variable and then search through the string variable. You're limited though by the 255 characters so it may not be the total solution but you could possibly test for the length of the memo field and copy it into multiple string variables.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Can I change Memo to a Text data type since max characters I may have on this field is less that 30?