Thread: Share Database

Unanswered: Share Database

I have a DB that I designed for a hotel security department that tracks daily activities, incidents and stores associated photos.

I made it with the help from forums such as this and now would like to make it available to everyone. (for free, gratis, no charge, etc.)

What is the best way to offer it? Via a zip file in a post? Or is there a freeware forum I can put it with a good description so others can find it?

I'm still working on the readme but it's essentially ready to go.

Jacque

re

Try google and type in "Free software"
    Greetz Marvels -^.^-
    Developments : VB4 Through .Net; Basic; DOS ; CNC ; Sinclair
    Databases : SQL Server Through 2005; Access 3 Through 2003 ; Oracle 8 & 9.i ;

Provided Answers: 10
    We have a code bank at the top of the access topic which all users are welcome to contribute to.
    George
    Home | Blog

Thanks, I posted it in the code bank.

Look at http://www.snapfiles.com/submit/ and see what the rules are for submitting there.

Snap Files is a great site. It organizes shareware/freeware and even provides a dual rating system. Quit a large collection of software categories.

Check it out.

Nice, thanks. But I believe I have to fix some stuff first.

I submitted it to Utter Access but they rejected it because of issues with the design. This is what they said;
    ---
    The code in your database does not compile. It contains at least two serious syntax errors. In addtion, there is a link to an image file on Drive "M:", which, of course, exists only on your own network and causes a failure when the database tries to load it.

At least one of the tables ("dar") contains repeating groups (), which are not considered good design. For the most part, the tables do not appear to have relationships established, except for something called "dar_toc" and "dar" and a couple of others. BTW, these names may mean something to you and possibly to other persons involved in hotel security. Otherwise, they are too cryptic to be of much use.
    ---

I understand where UA is coming from. I'll hack at it a bit in my spare time and see where I go.

I can probably figure out the code, can certainly fix the link issue and renaming tables isn't too much of a problem. I'm clueless on the repeating groups and relationships have always confused the hell out of me (database and real life both).

I don't even use the DB anymore, I designed it to make my former job in Hotel Security easier. It certainly works. It's been in operation for over 4 years and contains around 100,000 records.

I'm big into sharing ideas though, so wanted to make it available to anyone else to use and/or improve.

It's attached here if any of ya'll want to see it and throw some ideas on improvement to me.

Jacque
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi
    It seems to be an amazing db, but it doesn’t open due to a missing reference with name "utility.mda", could you re-post a copy with this reference or post the reference separately here?
    Thanks

Hmm, I'm not familiar with that. But here's another link to download it;
    http://downloads.btabdevelopment.com/UA/turnkey.zip

jacque