Thread: Replication

Unanswered: Replication

Hi, I need to setup replication between two databases residing on separate machines. These databases are 100% identical. I need to ensure that whenever one of the databases changes, the other one also receives these changes.
    How do I setup the replication?
    Is replication the best option?

Regards,
    Chris

Hi IQ

Welcome

your question is a little like

"I have to get to edinburgh - what kind of car should I buy - Is a Car better than the Train"

Effectively insufficient data to make a meaningful judgement

Please advise

SQL Version
    DB size in MB
    # of Users @ each end (concurrently updating & or reading)
    Network connection type between boxes (10MBit LAN,WAN)
    Resilience required
    what front end app you using

to give us a start

SQL 2005 Replication is very easy to setup, but more difficult to setup properly, according to your needs.

GW
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
    "Everything should be made as complex as possible, so I look Cleverer." - Application Developer

Replication

Hi

GW. Thanks for your reply. Please find a couple of details below:

1. SQL Version :2005
    2. DB size :280mb
    3. +-20 users on each end
    4. 100mbps LAN
    5. Replication needs be failsafe on network outage.
    6. Web application, inhouse developed through C#

I hope this is sufficient information. Please advise if there's more info required.

Kind regards,
    IQC

Cool - can you just explain briefly why you need two identical DB's on one site & why failsafe seems important when sat on a LAN?
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
    "Everything should be made as complex as possible, so I look Cleverer." - Application Developer

Replication

Ok,

The cenario is as follows:

We have two sites, separate from each other. Both these sites run the same operations. A database has been designed for both sites.
    The requirement is that the same database be hosted separately on the two separate locations. The reasoning behind this is that they want either site to remain operational with the latest data at any given point should one of the sites experience an outage.

I hope this helps.

Spot on !

Replication is undoubtadly your best option.

Your dealing with setting up a Publisher & Distributor at one site and a Subscriber at the other.

Replicate the entire DB
    Create Publication1 at the publisher - Put all static, slow moving, lookup tables in
    Create Publication2 at the publisher Put all others in Publication2

Create Subscriptions to these publications from the Subscriber

some would say use transactional replication with immediate updating subscribers over 100MB - I would say consider merge as they are remote sites and it's less maintanence for outages.

Read up on replicating identity columns & the NOT FOR Replication option if you have any triggers

Setup a Test DB at one ond of the Pipe (MAKE SURE YOU CAN'T HARM ANYTHING !!) Make a full copy of it at the other site & have a go

Follow the instructions in BOL (Books OnLine) to setup or use the Replication Wizard.

Theres quite a few things to consider with replication, SQL2005 is a lot easier, but if your SURE you can't hurt any live systems just have a play and see if it works for you.

Good Luck

GW

Replication

Thanks alot Mr G!

Input much appreciated. I will continue setting up and advise as soon as I've made headway.

Regards,

Your welcome

Good Luck