Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: centerlize sql server

Hi,

I'm in process of initiating a project "centralize sql server" and I need some assistance regarding h/w,…etc ‘I;m ew in sql server env.”

We have 3 server with sql 2000 and 1 server with sql2005.

What are the steps should I follow and how good the m/c ..

I need any advices that will help for this projects

Thanks in advanced

Provided Answers: 1
    Step #1: Explain "centralize sql server".
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Provided Answers: 54
    I'm with blindman on this one, I need more explanation.

Do you want to move the data from the servers to a central point for reporting, distribution, etc? Do you want to consolidate all of the different servers onto a single machine for ease of maintenance? Do you want to leave the servers and data "as is" and centralize the management? Have I missed the point entirely and you want something that I haven't considered?

-PatP

assuming you need to keep your servers and want a central db view of the data your prob looking at replication, which type of replication depends on various factors incl Network conn type, updateale subscribers etc. Upgrade all boxes to 2005 for easier maintanence.

either way

Buy the best hardware you can afford for central box will mean more speed, easier maintanence and greater longevity, having to do this on the cheap means they not prepared to commit to your project and is dangerous for the inexperienced.
    (max/most expensive HW Spec available on here if requested)

I'd nominate this one more than mine for asking half a question Pat

GW
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
    "Everything should be made as complex as possible, so I look Cleverer." - Application Developer

thanx for ur replies

centrelize sql server project have 2 phase
    a central storage and minimizing # of sql server
    currently we have 1 sql2005 server and 4 sql2000 server

Provided Answers: 6
    I personally like having many sql servers.

Tell me is the problem that you have the same database with different sets of data on different servers?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by jundba
    thanx for ur replies

centrelize sql server project have 2 phase
    a central storage and minimizing # of sql server
    currently we have 1 sql2005 server and 4 sql2000 server
    Tell us more. Post a writeup of this project. Post your rationale, i.e., why did you decide to centralize? What are your sql servers doing? What problems are you addressing, what can't you change and what, if any, promises have you made?

Give us *something* to go on.

perhaps they only want to pay for 1 set of licenses.

The reason for this project is to
    *keep all data files in a central storage like SAN instead on server side

*Maintain less # of sql server. Trying to combine dbs from several server in to more powerful server.

*Upgrade application from sql2000 to sql2005 since sql2000 is no more supported.

In this project I have to purpose specification for a powerful server. Recently
    we installed sql2005 on win2003 ent. Edt. with 8GB Ram.

I don't know what is the impace on application for upgrading sql2000 to 2005 I'm new in sqlserver side and this is my first project in the co.

thanks

Provided Answers: 6
    wow. that is some first project. you must have a good resume.

probably the first thing you want to do is to back up all of your databases on your sql 2000 boxes and restore them to your sql 2005 box. while you are doing this, you want to leave all of your applications pointing at your sql 2000 box. Once you restore to the new box, make sure the compatibility level is set to 90 on all of the databases. after you restore your databases, you will probably want to run this thing on all of the databases...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

After you work through the issues identified there, you are going to want to point a testing copy of all of your applications at the sql 2005 box because the upgrade adviser will not catch everything. Then you will want your users to TEST TEST and TEST some more. THIS WILL BE VERY IMPORTANT.

Once you have resolved all of the issues from testing, you are going to want to take fresh copies of backups from the SQL 2000 boxes, restore them to your sql 2005 box, apply any fixes that you applied the first time, and point the production copy of your applications to the new server.

There. Now you have a project plan. Good luck.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

another issue is the load on the server. 1 generally server can't handle the work of 4. if these 4 were fairly busy, you'll likely start to see timeouts when you consolidate everything to just one.

SAN - O my goodness !!

Please advise us how many DB's altogether, average size + Number of concurrent Users
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
    "Everything should be made as complex as possible, so I look Cleverer." - Application Developer

Thanks 4 all of u in helping me through this project.

1- Any one knows how keep files on network drive. I tried on a test server to keep datafile on a network driver using path eg. \\xxxx\xxx$ but it did not work I got w=error specifyinh network path is not supported by DB

2- Does Microsoft recommend to install 2000 and 2005 on same server.

regards

O my goodness !!

1- Any one knows how keep files on network drive. I tried on a test server to keep datafile on a network driver using path eg. \\xxxx\xxx$ but it did not work I got w=error specifyinh network path is not supported by DB
    There is no good reason to do that that I can think of.
    2- Does Microsoft recommend to install 2000 and 2005 on same server.
    You can do that, if you have a really good reason, and a really beefy server. I don't recommend that. Seperate servers for seperate installs.

-D.