Unanswered: logfiles access rights

i installed postgres 8.3 on my Mac. Everything works fine, including a StartupItem which starts/stops postgres within the context of the extra-user postrges.

I installed from sources and got seperate directorys for data, conf and for log. Unfortunately pg_ctl/postgres just only creates logfiles with rw-access for the user postgress himself.

I want those logfiles to be readable by everyone, but couldn't find a solution to set default rights or to do anything else on that topic. Postgres always creates a new logfile and the righst are restricted on the one user bringing postgres up at boot-time.

How can i force postgres to make logfile readable to the world?

any help apreciated

greetings wegus
    an Apple a day keeps Dr. Watson away !

I don't see anything in postgreSQL.conf which purports to support this.

You'll probably want to post this over at the pg mailing lists, to see if anyone there has an answer. Probably, you would need to edit the source code, and compile/link a custom install for yourself.

I have to say though, opening up your server's file system to the outside world is probably a very unsafe thing to do... Typically, direct OS file access is reserved for superusers, purely because of the security implications.

Have you considered setting up a process to periodically copy the log files to a more secure ftp location for remote access?
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

Quote Originally Posted by loquin
    I have to say though, opening up your server's file system to the outside world is probably a very unsafe thing to do... Typically, direct OS file access is reserved for superusers, purely because of the security implications.
    Thank you, this serious concern is well known to me. I intend to give all Users with local access to the computer the abilty to read postgres logfiles. The only official way seems to be via syslogd on that. For sure this is not for a productive Server, this is for development reason.
    an Apple a day keeps Dr. Watson away !