Unanswered: ORDER BY causing disk space error

The following query is causing a mysql error The Error number is 28, which means low disk space. So I clear some space, retry and get the error again after a few times querying. After playing with query i find that the ORDER BY statement is what make it fail. If i remove it the script runs.

So my question is, is there something about an ORDER BY statement that takes up a lot of disk space? I can sort in PHP, but if MySQL has the ability then i prefer it to sort with.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

SELECT data.datasize AS size, data.dataid AS id, data.datatype, data.dataname, data.datadescription AS description, data.engineerid AS owner, datalog.usability AS usability,datalog.easeofdownload AS easeofdownload, datalog.docaccuracy AS accuracy, datalog.timesdownloaded AS timesd, datalog.ratings AS ratings from data, datalog where data.datatype = 'AE Training video' AND data.dataid = datalog.dataid ORDER BY data.dataname

how many rows are in each table?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

db is very small at 67k.

Not sure if this will help, but did you try creating an index on the column(s) you are ordering on?

Quote Originally Posted by CyberEveryday.com
    Not sure if this will help, but did you try creating an index on the column(s) you are ordering on?
    That will help because otherwise it has to do a full table scan.