SaaS, Database Question

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone would care to comment on which database system they believe would be best for a SaaS startup company, for short term and long term. Our company will essentially have multiple deferent clients with their own "sensitive data", independent of other clients data. How does licensing work for this? is it 1 license per client or you buy a yearly license for unlimited users???

I came to this company in the middle of the development process; this company had an idea and hired a development company to create. In essence I have a few quotes of Database systems and I do believe they are high:

MS Sql Server, Standard edition: 11,474.00; 1 yr maintenance cost 5,800.00
    IBM DB@ Express Edition: 10,350.00 ; 0 for 1yr maintenance ; 2000.00 migration cost.

have more questions, but I thought I would start with these

Toronto, Canada
    what is SaaS? what is a "deferent" client?

by the way, all your other threads have been removed, as cross-posting is not allowed | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

I am glad my other threads were removed as I shouldn't of posted them in the other forums to begin with, but did not notice until after. oops. but thanks

SaaS (software as a service).

multiple clients as in multiple end users that data is specific to their needs.