Unanswered: Packaging a 14GB Database

I have a 14GB database thats needs to be sent to a vendor.
    I'm just curious of different ways of packaging the database to be sent.
    FTP is too slow.
    CDROM is to small unless split up.
    Any suggetions guys working with data of this size?

thanks,
    Jonathan

I usually zip a .bak of the db and ftp.

yeah that takes a while and also takes a while to ftp...
    any other solutions or ideas

its mssql database from windows....
    so im thinking burning it to a dvd with some type of compression
    the lan engineers are looking into that...
    I was just wondering of future alternatives for splitting up data and storing it and restoring it back....
    maybe using filegroups... etc... not sure... ?

Provided Answers: 54
    WinZip Pro makes this fast and nearly painless. It will gleefully handle the FTP or putting the image to either CD or DVD as you please.

WinRar isn't quite as convenient, but it does a fine job too.

-PatP

Provided Answers: 6
    I think Winrar lets you package bigger files if I remember correctly.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    WinZip Pro makes this fast and nearly painless. It will gleefully handle the FTP or putting the image to either CD or DVD as you please.

WinRar isn't quite as convenient, but it does a fine job too.

-PatP
    Ditto. I use Winzip Pro. Our DB is 3.6GB. It zips to just 330MB. Your 14GB database should easily fit on a DVD after zipping.

Caution: As with any Windows copy of a very large file to/from a production volume, the OS isn't good about sharing IO priority. Backup Agents seem to be much better about this. Consider restoring to a local Workstation or doing the copy after hours unless your .BAK files have their own volume.

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus
    I think Winrar lets you package bigger files if I remember correctly.
    WinRar broke the 64 bit barrier years ago (circa 2003 I think), and WinZip didn't get there until version 9 (circa 2006). Winzip had a 2 Gb limit when it was 32 bit, but now both WinZip and WinRar work well into the Petabyte range.

I'm just lazy, and like the "creature comforts" that WinZip offers like automagical FTP, etc. I like WinRar too, and use it extensively because it has a U3 version that I can carry with me easily.

-PatP

If you use something like RAR or 7zip, I'd suggest sending a self-extracting archive.

I'm pretty sure, though, that even regular zip could fit it on a DVD. Database files are usually fairly compressible.

If you can spend $100 you can send it on an external hard drive. I like the WD passports. They are small and require no power supply.

I shuttle around GBs of data all the time (backups up to 100GB - between sites over vpn, to and from vendors, etc...). I use Winrar to compress the files and just FTP.

If they don't want to wait for a compressed copy to FTP or put it on a DVD, it doesn't really leave them much of an option. 14GB is a big file and it's gonna take time to move, no matter how you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by cascred
    If you can spend $100 you can send it on an external hard drive. I like the WD passports. They are small and require no power supply.
    Or a usb flash drive...

Morning Guys,
    I appreciate all the solutions and advice.
    We decided to get a small external harddrive to put the data on.
    thanks,
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by jdmarsh2g
    Morning Guys,
    I appreciate all the solutions and advice.
    We decided to get a small external harddrive to put the data on.
    thanks,
    Jonathan
    Zipping has an added advantage of ready-made encryption capability, in case it falls into the wrong hands. Obviously important if you have personal identity information . Backup files have a way of not getting deleted as intended - and a hard drive "delete" is far less reliable than a shredded DVD.

Obviously; you can encrypt the uncompressed HDD file too, but I'd wager ....

Can you have your vendor VPN and or RDP into the backup server? That way they can do what they want and not affect production?