Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Need Advice: SQL 2005 back end, what front end?

Hi Guys

We are trying desperately to get away from Access (ADP) and move on to something else. SQL Server 2005 is the engine and Access is the front end. We desperatley need another front end. We torn between FoxPro or going Web Bassed. Can whats a good application tool that will asssit me in making our Databases webbased??

Provided Answers: 10
    Checked out Visual Studio?
    George
    Home | Blog

the one you can download on Micrsofts Website

Provided Answers: 54
    Before I comment, I need more information.

Why are you trying to leave MS-Access as your Front-End? What are the problems that you can't fix in MS-Access? What do you expect to gain by going to another platform?

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by desireemm
    Can whats a good application tool that will asssit me in making our Databases webbased??
    ColdFusion!!!
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Provided Answers: 54
    ColdFusion could be a good choice, but the problem I see with that could be regulatory compliance. Based on Desiree's previous posts, I think that security is probably very high on her priority list, and I'm pretty sure that ColdFusion didn't score well for security on Gartner's last test.

In terms of ease of development and the ability to do neat things quickly and easily, ColdFusion would be a good choice. ColdFusion's integration with SQL Server is good too.

-PatP

Problems with Access

Thank you Pat

1. Version, every time Micrsoft Changes version for instance from 2003 to 2007 we have issues. Cant go into design view from Access to alter a Query, I get an error message. However I dont with Access 2007. this has happened ever since we upgraded from SQL 2000 to 2005.

2. If I change the design I have to email our techs and have them disptribute those changes out to the users, they have to get updated.

3. And since we are on Access 2003 I have been getting other error message on and off and so have the other users. Just random error messages, that are unexplainable.

FoxPro is as good as dead. Microsoft have said publicly that there won't be any new version so now is the wrong time to switch to FP.

Are you considering .NET? .NET integrates well with SQL Server if that is your DBMS of choice.

Provided Answers: 6
    1. Version, every time Micrsoft Changes version for instance from 2003 to 2007 we have issues.
    That's called job security.

Cant go into design view from Access to alter a Query, I get an error message. However I dont with Access 2007. this has happened ever since we upgraded from SQL 2000 to 2005.
    Judging from of your previous posts, perhaps you are doing enough database development, to start using the SQL Server Management Studio full time. Its time to take the training wheels off.

2. If I change the design I have to email our techs and have them distribute those changes out to the users, they have to get updated.
    And this is because you are using Access as a fat client front end? If this is your problem, then you are going to want a thin client web based solution. ASP.Net, PHP, coldfusion etc...

If I get time today, I am going to check out Ruby On Rails. I got a web site idea the other day.

3. And since we are on Access 2003 I have been getting other error message on and off and so have the other users. Just random error messages, that are unexplainable.
    I rarely meet an error message that is unexplainable. Have you researched and attempted to resolve any of these?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

thank you Thrasy

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus
    That's called job security.

Judging from of your previous posts, perhaps you are doing enough database development, to start using the SQL Server Management Studio full time. Its time to take the training wheels off.

And this is because you are using Access as a fat client front end? If this is your problem, then you are going to want a thin client web based solution. ASP.Net, PHP, coldfusion etc...

If I get time today, I am going to check out Ruby On Rails. I got a web site idea the other day.

I rarely meet an error message that is unexplainable. Have you researched and attempted to resolve any of these?

Well I do use SQL Server fulltime, as a matter of fact I'm the only one who uses it. I just need to get rid of Access as a front end. But I agree with you Thrasy.

Thank you

ASP.NET will be something new to learn and quite frankly I dont mind at all .

I just downloaded visual web developer express 2005?
    Last edited by desireemm; 03-09-08 at 23:03.

We have a tool (LatticeFramework Studio) let you connect to SQL Server 2005 and generate the whole web application (.NET/Java/PHP etc) from tables using different xslt templates, database schema reports (word and html format) and ER Diagram (pdf/jpg/gif format) can be generated too. It also has a sql editor simliar to SQL Server Management Studio with code completion.

Hope it will save you some time to migrate from Access to web-based application. Below is the link:

http://www.latticesoft.com

LatticeFramework Studio also supports Oracle, MySQL and PostgreSQL.

I have a bridge in Brooklyn I can sell you
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

I know that it's been some time since I posted, but ASP.Net is probably your best bet. As for the application frameworks (i.e., Rails, CakePHP, etc.), I've found they are mostly hype. The biggest issue you will face with them is that the framework dictates the data model. It's okay for simple stuff, but if you have anything complex, you definitely don't want the framework doing your data modeling for you. Just my $0.02.
    Dandy
    Aspiring Database Dwarf

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kaiser
    I have a bridge in Brooklyn I can sell you

Hi Brett, how are you

Why do you say that?? Just out of curiosity

brett does that all the time, do not blame him for it, he has ADD

he was, in fact, expressing incredulity at your statement "torn between FoxPro or going Web Bassed"
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL