Unanswered: Database Dump Size Discrepancies

I would appreciate anyone giving me some light regarding my issue below.

Before the 29th of February my database dump size was around 185MB. But on the 29th the dump size was only 20MB, although on the dump screen it said that about 137MB was successfully dumped. Subsequent dumps have also been on the size of 20MB until today, but increasing.

Thanks.

Provided Answers: 1
    Only used pages are dumped. If you dropped a large table then less will be dumped.
    Look at sp_helpdb <your_db> output and subtract free space from allocated space to get an estimate of how much will be dumped.

"If you dropped a large table then less will be dumped. " - PDreyer

Yes, I know this. But you see, I haven't drop any tables. Aside from that, I was expecting that the dumps will be higher than its previous high of 185MB because the database is accumulating data; so getting only 20+MB as database dump size from a high of 185MB is really something perplexing.

Could the difference be in the log?
    If the answer is yes, my advice is to always truncate the log before dumping the database.

Mariano Corral

I don't think that it's because of the database log. When I backup the database, I am only dumping the data of the said database; I do not back up the log.

If this is Sybase ASE and the dump is performed by the dump database command, then the log is always dumped along with the data. This is why I advice truncating the log before dumping the database.

Regards,
    Mariano Corral