Unanswered: Default owner for SQL 2k users

Hi

Overview - non-sysadmin access to SQL 2k box using 2k5 tools. Not used 2k in over a year,

Any way to set the default owner for objects created by a user? So if user x runs:

Code:
     CREATE TABLE mytable
        (
            mycol    BIT
        )
    it is owned by dbo not x (dbo.mytable not x.mytable)? Note I can't (or won't for now anyway) change the DDL above. I also don't believe I can do this with the SSMS tools (schema <> owner). I also can't use sp_adduser...
    So 2k comliant T-SQL or at a push SMO only please!

Ta
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Provided Answers: 10
    Tricky question; I thought the answer was obvious but I think it's a little more subtle. Anyway, why should it matter; you should be changing your DDL to include the owner/schema.

My gut reaction is dbo default; but I'll have a play after I finish my sarnie

And ownership works in a very different way in 2005. There's (little to) no ownership chaining/security inheritance in 2K, so I'm not really sure what detail you're trying to pick at at the moment.
    George
    Home | Blog

Problem is it ain't my DDL. I can go changing it however that then means my DML needs the owner prefix too to be efficient - otherwise the optimser looks for objects owned by "x" first. The DML is not mine either....

There isn't any such thing as ownership in 2k5. The schema concept maps much more closely to the ANSI SQL "domain" AFAIK and I use it like crazy in 2k5. The "owner" concept in 2k just seems inherently flawed to me and I don't like anything being owned by anything other than dbo.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Provided Answers: 10
    So is your question closer to
    Code:
    CREATE TABLE gv.gv (gv bit)
    Execute as gv
    Code:
    SELECT * FROM gv
    In which case it looks for any objects owned by gv before proceeding to dbo (the default owner)
    George
    Home | Blog

Provided Answers: 11
    Now, now, Pootle. What did your mother tell you about sharing?

The way to do this is to set the login as the database owner. Look up sp_changedbowner. If you need more than one such login (and this had better be development only), then you can look into creating aliases to DBO. (sp_addalias, if I remember).

I think, WD 24601, you've made me realise I'm still thinking in 2k5 schema terms.

So only one login (and we are talking logins not users right?) can be the database owner and default to dbo ownership? (Apart from the sysadmins and a few other server roles - I know they map to dbo).

Normally I create the stuff myself as sysadmin and then create logins to assecc the sprocs. In this case, a third party app, the app creates the database objects using a SQL login mapped to a database user. Once created I bump the user permissions right down so it has no DDL rights.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Quote Originally Posted by georgev
    So is your question closer to
    Code:
    CREATE TABLE gv.gv (gv bit)
    Execute as gv
    Code:
    SELECT * FROM gv
    In which case it looks for any objects owned by gv before proceeding to dbo (the default owner)
    That looks like a statement George. What's my question again?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

I think I've just learnt that I've forgotten more about 2k than I remember. That took all of 14 months. Oh crap.

I want a user to, by default, use "dbo" but not be a database owner or member of db_owner because it should not have DDL rights. Is this a contradiction in terms as far as 2k database architecture goes?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Provided Answers: 11
    you can look into adding the user to the db_ddladmin group, but I believe the user's objects will not default to dbo, unless told. Remember. Third party vendors rarely expect a customer to apply any actual security to their application.

Yeah I'm used to having full control of the box & SQL code too. Usually with stuff I've built myself or by the team. Our in house coding standards insist on two part naming conventions so I usually don't give default shemas\ 2k equivalent a second thought.

I don't want to elevate this users privleges any further - I actually plan to start hacking them back to least required. I expect the app will work just fine as is.

Ta for the help
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Provided Answers: 54
    You could kludge this by running this stored procedure every minute or so. It isn't perfect, but it is the closest that I can get on short notice.
    Code:
    --  ptp  20080311  See http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?t=1628192

CREATE PROCEDURE pPootleKludge2K
    AS

DECLARE
       @cOld			NVARCHAR(776)
    ,  @cOwner			sysname
    ,  @cTable			sysname

DECLARE zPootleKludge2K CURSOR FOR SELECT
       a.TABLE_SCHEMA, a.TABLE_NAME					-- Fetch owner and table
       FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES AS a
       WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT *					-- Only if safe to rename
          FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES AS b
          WHERE  b.TABLE_NAME = a.TABLE_NAME		-- Table matches, but...
             AND b.TABLE_SCHEMA != a.TABLE_SCHEMA)	-- ...owner does not

OPEN CURSOR zPootleKludge2K
    FETCH zPootleKludge2K INTO @cOwner, @cTable

WHILE 0 = @@fetch_status
       BEGIN
          SET @cOld = QuoteName(@cOwner) + '.' + QuoteName(@cTable)
          EXECUTE sp_changeobjectowner @cOld, 'dbo'

FETCH zPootleKludge2K INTO @cOwner, @cTable
       END

CLOSE zPootleKludge2K
    DEALLOCATE zPootleKludge2K

RETURN
    -PatP

Thank you Pat

I think I am going to go with the flow rather than swim against it. It seems that I have returned to SQL 2K with some preconceptions on how things should be done based on my last 16 months working with 2k5.

Appreciated fella
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump