Unanswered: postgre vs MySQL

Hi,

I am a database professional but have never used Postgre. My client was exploring the posiblity of using Postgre instead of Mysql and wnated to know the comments from the community.
    I waned you people you post your views on the following comparision points
    1] Performance
    2] Scalablity
    3] community support
    4] Speed
    5] ease of use
    6] robustness

Any major clients of the two.
    You can add you own points too.

Thanks ,
    Rahul.

I'll first point you to the FAQ which is the first thread in this forum. There are several threads which discuss MySQL versus PostgreSQL. Some of the articles are dated, though.

In particular, take a look at the article which describres the Tweakers.net testing. Tweakers was testing various server configurations - it is essentially a hardware review. They were using PostgreSQL and MySQL to test the servers. However, the results show some very interesting points, in regards to how MySQL and PostgreSQL respond under heavy load.

From a historical viewpoint, MySQL was built for speed, whereas PostgreSQL was built to comply to standards, provide enterprise level features and impeccable data integrity. Because of the emphasis on standards, data integrity, and features, PostgreSQL had always been slower than MySQL.

MySQL has slowly added some of the features that an enterprise database needs, whereas PostgreSQL has continuously been optimized to improve speed while not impacting features or data integrity.

Right now, you just can't say that MySQL is faster than PostgreSQL. Especially when you compare apples to apples (When using InnoDB to ensure data integrity for instance) Especially as the number of concurrent users increase, PostgreSQL shines.

And, even though MySQL has added some badly needed features, they are still somewhat deficient in comparison to PostgreSQL.

Anyway, re your points...

1] Performance - A wash at low numbers of users, at large numbers of concurrent users, PostgreSQL is superior.
    2] Scalablity - PostgreSQL
    3] community support - MySQL.
    4] Speed - A wash. This is really a subset of performance.
    5] ease of use - MySQL. PostgreSQL has a HUGE number of features that take a while to learn.
    6] robustness - PostgreSQL.

So, from a technical viewpoint, I give PostgreSQL the nod. Especially if you have a high concurrency situation, with mixed inserts, updates, deletes, and selects, PostgreSQL is much superior. (MVCC!) Or, if you NEED the additional features that PostgreSQL has had for years, Go with PostgreSQL. But, if all you need to do is make a bunch of SELECTs from the database, and you don't need RI, then use MySQL.
    Last edited by loquin; 03-11-08 at 20:56.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by loquin
    3] community support - MySQL.
    I don't agree here. It seems that especially the development team of Postgres is a lot more active when it comes to releasing new versions. MySQL 5.1 is still a release candidate and as far as I can tell never had a production release since work started in 2005. Postgres has released 8.0, 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3 in the same time frame. Now numbers don't really mean anything, but still...
    And the support from the PG mailing list is excellent. I don't know if the end user can actually contact the MySQL developers through a mailing list.
    This might change, now that Sun is financing MySQL

5] ease of use - MySQL. PostgreSQL has a HUGE number of features that take a while to learn.
    Depends on where you come from. Postgres just "feels" better because I can rely on a lot of features working as expected, whereas with MySQL I constantly question myself whether it will really work, or is MySQL silently ignoring it. This might not be relevant for someone who has never worked with other DBMS before.

But, if all you need to do is make a bunch of SELECTs from the database, and you don't need RI, then use MySQL.
    I would still go for Postgres. Because I would be sure it can scales better with my needs. Typical projects grow over time and MySQL might limit this at one point or the other.

I like PostgreSQL's features also, as I've come from a database/client-server programming background, and not a web designer background. I would tend to use PG in almost all cases too.

However, for someone who hasn't been exposed to an enterprise database system before, pg could be somewhat ... overwhelming.

Also, since there are a lot more installations of MySQL than PG, you find more sites supporting MySQL than PG. The PG site is excellent, though.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊

BTW. Regarding point #6... Ref this thread
    Lou
    使大吃一惊

Provided Answers: 12
    If anyone is interested, I think the answers of the PG community to this same question are very interesting. Of course they prefer PG over MySQL, but I think they still have a "relatively unbiased" opinion.

http://www.nabble.com/postgre-vs-MySQL-td15976517.html

Is anyone monitoring the MySQL mailing lists? If the same question was posted there, it might be interesting to read the answers of the MySQL community.

Although in the meantime I think this was just spam/trolling as the OP has not answered in any of the the threads.