Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Registering SQL Server 2000 on Vista problem

Dear All,

My office computer just had Vista installed on it and I have now encountered a problem in SQL Server 2000 sp4. (Yes, I know it's old and has comparability issues with Vista, but I don't have the option to upgrade at this point.) I have two servers to register. One works fine, but the other won't register and returns the error "SQL Server does not exist or access denied. ConnectionOpen (Connect())". I was able to register this one server that isn't working while previously running XP on my office computer and even as a test on another server running Windows Server 2003. This leads me to believe the problem is isolated with my installation on Vista and not with any permissions, etc. I have been scouring different forums looking for a fix for this, but have come up empty handed. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Thank you!

Provided Answers: 10
    Is the service running?
    Can you connect using the GUI tools (QA, EM)?
    George
    Home | Blog

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the local service on the server I am trying to connect to is running; however, I cannot connect to it on my Vista machine with QA or EM. I have even tried stopping and restrating the service, to no avail. My problem seems to be isolated to the installation on the Vista machine because I was able to register it on an XP machine as well as on a Windows Server 2003 machine.

Provided Answers: 6
    have you tried to register the server with both windows and sql authentication?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Yes, I have tried using both windows and sql authentication on the Vista machine, but it doesn't work with either.

did you have XP with the client tools on it, then installed Vista and now you can not connect? If so, have you tried reinstalling the client tools?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Yes, XP was installed, then removed. Now Vista is installed and I cannot connect to both servers. One I can, one I cannot. They both exist on separate Windows Server 2003 servers.

I haven't tried reinstalling SQL Server yet since I obviously have one that is working.

have you checked the network protocols on the client and the server? on the vista box look at the client network utility and on the server look at the Server Network Utility.

What exactly should I be looking for in the network utilities? On my client (Vista), I have the TCP/IP and Named Pipes protocols enabled (in that order) and likewise on the two servers, except order reversed (I don't know why). Other than that, all the settings appear to be the same.

nope that was it.

are you sure you still have an account with the one you can not access?

Provided Answers: 11
    Does the server you can not connect to run on a different TCP/IP port than 1433? The XP firewall in SP2 broke a lot of installations like that.

Yes, I still have an account on the server I cannot access (my development one). I am able to register it in Enterprise Manager on the server (my production one) that I can register from my Vista machine. That is why I feel it is isolated to my local Vista machine.

My development server, the one that I cannot connnect to, runs SQL on port 1433.

How about this. Try to eliminate all the WINS and DNS variables, by registering the machine under it's IP address. Maybe Vista is not able to resolve the name for some reason? Bit of a longshot, I admit.

I don't know why, but it worked when I registered the IP address. Thank you for all of your help.

!!!!

OK, so now we have the problem reduced to a name resolution problem? what happens when you ping the development box?