Thread: Shared Query

Unanswered: Shared Query

We have a query that applies a set of filters to a shared dataset so it can be used for a variety of purposes. These filter queries are currently in several databases which is troublesome because the filter requirements change every few weeks. Some of these databases are not even maintained by our group but they do make queries from our data.

The underlying dataset changes frequently and is quite large (over 1M rows) so we are trying to avoid maintaining a filtered table and an unfiltered table.

Is there a way that we can share a common query similar to what a view would accomplish in Oracle?

Thanks.

Steve

Hey Steve,

You can do a view in SQL Server which you could easily share. I don't know if that's the answer you're looking for though but it would be the easiest (especially if you have over 1M rows of Access data!) I'd seriously think about upsizing the data tables from Access to SQL Server (or Oracle if that's your thing).
    Last edited by pkstormy; 03-11-08 at 19:06.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Thanks for the idea of a view, that is what I would like to do. The data is in an Oracle database that I link to with read only permissions. I guess I will just keep copying the query around until the dba's realize the need for this view.

Steve