Unanswered: Attaching volumes to a SQL Cluster 2005

We have our production SQL 2005 server (64 bit Standard Ed.) attached to an iSCSI Equalogic SAN. We have set up 2 new servers an installed the cluster service. My question is: can I install SQL 2005 in this cluster environment an latter on disconnect the data and log volumes from the production server, attach those volumes to the cluster an reattach the DBs? the reason we need to do it like that is that we don't have enough spare space in the SAN to initially create these 2 volumes in the cluster.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Provided Answers: 11
    If I understand this correctly, you are going to create the databases on a second probably standalone server on the local disks. Is this right? Even if not, you can always copy databases over to the new cluster. It just takes a bit of downtime to copy everything over, and restore/reattach to the new home.

If the databases are being created on the SAN, but just on a LUN that is currently dedicated to another server, then even that can probably be done, but will require you to call the SAN vendor to get the actual details. we did it here with an EMC SAN, which saved us from having to copy some 200 GB of data across our network, but I would make sure that possibility is open to you, before you tell the users anything.

ummmmm...get more space?

how big are we taking about?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

The production standalone server is connected to the same iSCSI Equalogic SAN where we created the SQL 2005 cluster. can we disconnect the data and log volumes from the production standalone server and connect them to the newly created SQL server and then reattach the DBs? I hope this makes more sense

Provided Answers: 11
    As I said above, that is a question for the SAN vendor. If the filesystem can be transferred from one machine to another, it is a trivial operation to re-attach the databases to the clustered instance of SQL Server.

I have done this a couple of times before with a Dell/EMC and an IBM SAN, but never with an iSCSI Equalogic SAN.

There are a few (careful) details that you must observe:

1. Detach the databases from the stand alone server before detaching the disk(s) from the OS

2. When you present the disks to the clustered systems, they must be done in the same manner as when adding new storage (you must present them to one and only one system at a time.

3. After you have correctly assigned a drive volume on each node in the cluster, then you must use Cluster Administrator to add them as a cluster resource (type disk) to the right resource group (the one containing your clustered SQL node).

4. Then you must make the SQL Server resource dependent on the newly added disks.

Then LOTS of testing with the drives BEFORE you place the SQL resource online. Fail the disks back and forth between (or among) nodes. Test creating, modifying and deleting files.

When you are sure that everything is fine (check the system event log), then online SQL Server and attach your database files.

Regards,

hmscott

Edit: Oh yeah, first things first; make sure you have a good backup available!
    Have you hugged your backup today?