Unanswered: Adding comments to metadata

Did some searching and didn't seem to find what I'm looking for. I'm pretty new to SQL Server (most of my experience is on DB2 for z/OS).

I'm building some new tables, and want to find a way to add comments to the metadata for the column. In DB2 the syntax is:

COMMENT ON COLUMN TB_CREATOR.TB_NAME.COLUMN_NAME IS 'comments here';

OR

COMMENT ON TB_CREATOR.TB_NAME (
    COLUMN1 IS ' comment here',
    COLUMN2 IS ' comment here',
    );

Is there anything like this in SQL Server?

Thanks!

anyone????

EXEC sys.sp_addextendedproperty
    @name
    =N'Caption'
    ,@value=N'Text I wish to Add'
    ,@level0type=N'SCHEMA',@level0name=N'dbo'
    ,@level1type=N'TABLE',@level1name=N'MyTable'
    ,@level2type=N'COLUMN',@level2name=N'MyField'
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
    "Everything should be made as complex as possible, so I look Cleverer." - Application Developer

Provided Answers: 12
    The problem with this approach is, that there doesn't seem to be a way to actually retrieve that information again.

The Visual Studio tools will display extended properties in a separate dialog (pretty clumsy to navigate there, at least with the Express version

sp_columns and sp_tables will never return information in the "REMARKS" column of their result.
    The documentation either says "This field always returns NULL" (sp_columns) or "SQL Server does not return a value for this column" (sp_tables)

So these "extended properties" seem to be pretty useless, as far as I can tell. At least not a replacement for the very handy ADD COMMENT that other DBMS (DB2, Oracle, Postgres) support.

most tools expect the name of the property to be MS_Description. if you name them with that name, they will show up in the Description fields of various tools, like SSMS, VS, etc.

also SqlSpec will pick them up - see link in my sig.

Quote Originally Posted by jezemine
    most tools expect the name of the property to be MS_Description. if you name them with that name, they will show up in the Description fields of various tools, like SSMS, VS, etc.

also SqlSpec will pick them up - see link in my sig.
    Thanks for the insight.

I still don't understand why the documented stored procs from Microsoft don't return comments at all.
    I'm mostly working in a Java/JDBC environment which makes these comments practically useless.

Try using fn_listextendedproperty
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
    "Everything should be made as complex as possible, so I look Cleverer." - Application Developer

Quote Originally Posted by GWilliy
    Try using fn_listextendedproperty
    Thanks for the hint, but it doesn't really help me as the MS JDBC driver is using sp_tables and sp_columns to retrieve the information and those - as documented - will never return comments.

sounds like you are complaining more about the implementation of the JDBC driver then.

Quote Originally Posted by jezemine
    sounds like you are complaining more about the implementation of the JDBC driver then.
    Well a bit, but to a certain extent also about the stored procedures that should be used to retrieve that information. sp_tables and sp_columns are intended for this and they simply do not return comments. The JDBC driver(s) simply make use of those procedures.