Unanswered: Linking tables - Why wont foreign key populate?

I have a question,

I have a number of tables with primary and foreign keys. Why wont the child table populate from the parent table.

I have declared the attributeS in the child table to be foreign keys....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    You appear to be incapable or unwilling to RTFM
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B...b14220/toc.htm
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Well maybe i didnt know about that, you know what really annoys me is that all of you who come on here to offer help are all so snooty about actually giving it out, some us a trying to learn about DBS but find it a very hard concept to grasp despite reading materials. Sometimes it helps if someone can explain it in normal terms. All this technical jargan is very hard to understand.

Provided Answers: 12
    All this technical jargan is very hard to understand
    That might be true, but posting a question without giving detailed information about what you actually did, makes it simply impossible to answer your question.

With the information you provided, the only possible answer is "read the manual".

If you had provided the detailed definition of your tables and the statements that you used to try to populate the tables and the original error message, I'm sure someone would have answered more detailed (I would have).

Simply saying "Why wont the child table populate from the parent table" is not enough information to be able to help you. It's like telling your car mechanic "something's wrong with my car..."

Provided Answers: 4
    True; there really IS something wrong with my car, but tomorrow I'll give the mechanic a hint: "my front right light bulb is dead".

By the way, what makes you think that "something" will populate your table all by itself? Parent record will be inserted by using the INSERT statement. You should do the same with the child table(s) - use INSERT statement. Just make sure that foreign key column values already exist in primary key table; otherwise, you'll get the "parent key not found" error (unless you chose to create deferred constraints).