Unanswered: Sql server 2005 versus oracle 10g certification

hi guys,
    I am joining IT industry in august,my main intrest is in database(readed some stuff of warehousing oracle 9i and sql).
    However to move my career in that direction i need certification.
    So here is the point,should i get MCTS(in sql server 2005) or OCP(oracle associate 10g).
    My main goal is to become DBA. which of the above is more benificial.
    I mean more oppurtunites.

please reply.

Provided Answers: 11
    If you are looking for strict marketability, I would do a quick count on the local job posting site (Dice.com, Monster.com, Careerbuilder.com, et al.) and see what is popular in your area. As for the certification, that tends to cut both ways. I know some folks who will not touch a person with a certification, and others who trust certifications almost blindly. If I were in your position, I would try for a junior DBA position, to get some experience, mentoring, and an idea of what you are going to be in for. Experience in IT often speaks a lot louder than a few certifications.

To echo a couple of things the mcrowley says, look for a junior DBA position, learn the ropes and then work on the certifications. I have been on both sides of the interview table a few times. In my opinion, the certifications merely open doors (or rather, they keep the doors from being slammed shut, which is the same thing). You still have to have the experience to back up the certs in order to land the jobs that are worth anything.

There are places that will hir you based on your cert alone (that, a quick phone interview and a check of your pulse to ensure you're really alive). Those jobs tend to get ugly real fast.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Provided Answers: 6
    Quote Originally Posted by hmscott
    Those jobs tend to get ugly real fast.
    yeah but if you survive a couple of them sh*tstorms and you learn something along the way, you do become a better DBA.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 11
    Learning from bad situations can kinda cut both ways. For example, of the bad situation is a runaway transaction log, then is simply truncating the log good enough? Solves the immediate problem, but causes a problem if you need to recover the database in the near future. As a co worker of mine liked to say was that a flat tire is not a problem, until you want to go somewhere.