Access, Rexx, and Lookin' Around

Hi everyone,

My name is Jeremy. I work in the parts distribution division of an auto manufacturer. I'm a part-time wanna-be Access developer browsing for new tips and tricks to help me along with some of my projects. I originally found this site because I recently heard about REXX and found some messages pertaining to automating MS Office apps with REXX. I'm sure I'll just be a lurker until I have need to ask a question.

Jeremy

I've used REXX in TSO and even in VM on zSeries machines, but I've never seen it on a PC. That could be reather interesting, but I'd suggest that you investigate VBA before you go too far with REXX in the Windows environment.

-PatP

Hi Pat,

I actually already do most of my stuff in VBA, and it's horrendously slow. I use Access for a lot of data manipulation and for GUI apps, but I would like to move away from it eventually. Unfortunately a number of reports and things would still need to become something like a Word document or an Excel spreadsheet for the person at the end to view it, and that's why I'm looking at REXX.

Besides, I thought it would be interesting to try, if nothing else, just for the fun of trying something new.

Jeremy

Whatever works!

If REXX doesn't pan out, I'd also suggest Perl as an option... It is free, fast, portable (to many operating systems), and extremely geeky! Any language where the premier text says programmers need laziness and hubris to succeed is a "must know" in my book!

-PatP