Assignment Description / Responsibilities:
Subject Matter Expert with a focus on systems, database and application software performance optimization, monitoring and tracking. Addressing software, hardware, infrastructure, configuration, and environment integration for mission critical vendor products. Responsibilities include designing, implementing, integrating and supporting variety of mainframe, mid-frame and PC operating systems and ancillary products to improve systems and application efficiencies. Extensive "hands-on" experience with specific environments and integration relationships to related products.
• Bachelor Degree with 4 years experience OR 6 years experience. Experience in the following technologies: MQ, DB2, WAS, CICS, JAVA
• Analyzes and monitors systems and application performance metrics
• Propose solutions and enhancements to optimize performance. Works with project teams to implement needed improvements in infrastructure, in database systems or in applications
• Reviews deployment and testing procedures and recommends process improvements that address performance and monitoring of infrastructure, database and application systems
• Coordinates with Enterprise initiatives on monitoring and improving systems performance
• Analyzes hardware and software needs and recommends upgrades or new purchases
• Can discuss industry and marketplace trends and directions
• Can identify, discuss and solve key operational issues and considerations
• Can guide and assist other software specialists within specific field of expertise
• Formulates system scope, requirements, objectives and alternatives
• Works in all phases of systems project activities. Project oversight and assessments provided. Can describe key benefits, drawbacks and rationale for standards, policies and practices. Provides status / assessment reporting to management.
• Performs or oversees software installations and upgrades to operating systems and layered software packages. Has in-depth knowledge of components of the subject matter.
Mainframe experience with some background in CICS is preferred. MQ experience (as a programmer or admin) is helpful, but not required. The
best technical candidates would have a variety of mainframe and distributed system experience with at least some background in DB2 (or other RDBMS) and experience with performance analysis of applications. The candidate will be involved in the application development process as a champion of application performance concerns. This will involve working with developers (both Java/WebSphere and COBOL/CICS) and resource administrators (MQ, DB2, CICS, UNIX and others) and coordinating work to ensure the resulting application meet their performance requirements. They will be involved in the planning and execution of performance/stress tests, reporting on the results and building predictive models to determine CPU and other resource requirements.