Unanswered: AS400 linked files

Hello;

Anybody familiar with this… my Access DB accesses the results of a query run on an AS400. It appears Access uses I-Series Access for Windows to retrieve the results sitting in a file on the 400. When I run the Access query, it asks me for my I-Series password. The problem is, this is a database for other users who will be utilizing this report. Is there a way Access can be coded to automatically provide my I-Series password so the query can run for others?

In setting up the file linking connection I am prompted to “Save Password” (check box), however this seems to have no effect on my issue.

Thanks…

Larry

Provided Answers: 59
    you should be able to tell the applciation to use the query designer or users password to connect (forget where that settimg is... its probably int he options tab)

the alternative is to get the AS400 DBA's to creatre a user ID and password sepcifcally for data access via the applciation, connect using ODBC and use that userid and password combination in the connection string.. it does mean that you will not be abel to use bound recordsets and forms..... but you probably should be doign that anyway to avoid banjaxing the server in the first place.

Thanks Healdem;

What I haven't tested yet is if someone who does not have access to I-Series can access the query even if they had my ID and password. I guess I will need to test that first. None of the end users will have access to I-Series.

"Tell the application..." do you mean I-Series, or Access? The only reference to password in Access was the link box after selecting ODBC, and I did check that, which made no change.

Thanks...

Larry

Before the query executes, there is a connection string somewhere that tells it the location of the I-series. In that string you can hard code the password for the specific userid that healdem suggested.