Thread: Design DB

Unanswered: Design DB

I need to design a database, but i i just don know if i am doing it correctly.

Basically, i have an equipment which is sending me a lot of gauges readings (high limit, low limit, current level), electrical readings, hydraulic readings, alarms levels such as Fuel level, temperature level, etc etc, about 200 different types of readings, continuously. I may have different types of equipments and although most of the data are the same, some data types and its availability may be different too., depending on the type of equipment.

I want to keep this readings in a database, and this database will be updated constantly.

Should i create all of this different gauges readings in one big single table? If i do so, i only have one long row of data then for a particular equipment.If i put in different table, i can't see how i can create relationship among my tables with such kind of data.

Can you help on the possible ways of putting this equipment real time readings into DB?

As in Microsoft Certified Engineer?

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

SCADA database

It appears to me that what you need is a SCADA system and database. Depending on the size of your company, you may want to check out what GE Harris has to offer. I work for a large power company in Georgia, and we have been using their system for almost 20 years. This option may be much more robust than what you are currently thinking about.

on the wrong server
    Provided Answers: 6
    sounds like an oil refinery to me. I work for an oil company. I know I am evil, but our refineries use this thing for a database...

I have used it a few times. It kind of feels like Oracle. It supports Natural Joins.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.