Which is better in terms of optimization?

I just need your take on which of these two scenarios will yield quicker results with optimization in mind. On the front end there are a lot of pages with counts per category of events e.g Restaurants (40) | Pubs (2) | Gallery (6)

First Scenario:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	events.gif 
Views:	39 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	8259

Having a stored procedure that would count each event per category based on this ER Diagram above or

Second Scenario:

Have the Event & Category tables as it is from above but have a series of Category tables for each individual Category. So Restaurant will have it own table, pub etc and house only the EventID for each event.

On counting instead of running a Stored procedure that scans through the whole event table + Category table like Scenario 1, I'll run one stored procedure that counts all these MyISAM Category table records to count how many records there are in each category table.

I need to know which will yield a faster outcome, which will be more memory intensive. These Categories will hardly change. There might be an additional category but that wont be an issue updating the Category table and creating a new eventcategory table.

Kindly let me have comments

Scenario 1 with an index on CategoryId would be a much better design, and should perform just as well (though I know nothing of mySQL which I'm guessing you are using).

Tony - don't you think an index on category name? In that case the count wouldn't need to touch the leaf level - just the B-Tree (assuming this is applicable to mySQL - I too can claim utter ignorance of this RDBMS).
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Scratch that. Misread the requirement.....

Although it does link back to a discussion of surrogates and natural keys from the other day of course....
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Scenario 1 with an index on CategoryId would be a much better design, and should perform just as well (though I know nothing of mySQL which I'm guessing you are using).
    Yes i am using MYSQL.

see also this thread on some other site which will remain unnamed, where you asked the exact same question

Last edited by r937; 03-27-08 at 16:04.
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

r937 Can you please delete the link. I am trying to source opinions from 2 seperate forums. Please lets keep sitepoint out of this discussion

sure no problem

i just thought i would save the guys here from taking the time to give you an opinion that someone else has already given you elsewhere
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

The intention is sourcing varied opinions. I am being given a different advise here. Can you kindly take the thread out completely it simply doesnt make any sense with the rephrasing. I didnt post a similar thread in some other forum because you are also there posting links about similar questions asked elsewhere. You dont know the intention of the thread poster!
    Last edited by dele454; 03-27-08 at 16:30.

I would see it as Scenario 1 with an index on CategoryID and then a Join on Events and EventsCategory tables with a group by CategoryID

However I don't have the knowledge to tell you if this is a faster way than scenario 2

Thanks for the comment will implement.