lettercase consideration?

Hi to all,

I just want to ask if there is any difference if you use ALL CAPITAL LETTERS when supplying values for the fields in the record that you want to insert/add.

Ex:

1.) Table_1 consists of 3 columns - ID, COL1, COL2
    2.) I inserted a record with these: INSERT INTO Table_1 VALUES ('AA','EE');

What if i use the same values in inserting a record but the case of the values were in lowercase? By using lowercase/small letters when inserting records, does it reduced the size/space compared to using UPPERCASE letters?

I know that the question seems so dumb, but hey, I am not afraid to ask.
    I am just curious and it all part of knowing and learning.

Thanks and god bless.
    Programming is fun!

No, characters are characters in databases. A "W" is the same size to the database as a "w" or an "i". They might well print as different sizes, they might even appear on the screen as different sizes, but they're all the same on the disk.

-PatP

Do you think its a good idea to capitalise/uppercase the values of the fields of your record before inserting it to the table?

Does it have its pros and cons?
    Programming is fun!

Do whatever is easiest\ most efficient (application wise)\ matches your needs. It doesn't matter how they are stored - it only matters when you display the data. And then there is no right or wrong - it is just what your users expect\ require that matters.

Of course you need to get it right:
    I helped Jack off a horse <> I helped jack off a horse
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

it doesn't matter how you store information in terms of UPPER, lower, Mixed or even CaMeL case.

however it does make a big differnece in terms of presentation to the user.. all caps looks odd (and can be regarded as SHOUTING), all lower can be regarded as informal, CaMeL is fine for coding.

one thing to bear in mind is that if you are searching for text then THIS <> this <>This. so you need to think very carefully about what you want to achieve.

some languaes and some dbs allow you to be case independant, some languages have functions to clean up user input to remove case problems.. although they invariably fail on proper names (eg names of people, names of companies etc....)

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    Do whatever is easiest\ most efficient (application wise)\ matches your needs. It doesn't matter how they are stored - it only matters when you display the data. And then there is no right or wrong - it is just what your users expect\ require that matters.

is it just me or was that post deliberately inuendo driven, as one would expect from a true Brit?

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    is it just me or was that post deliberately inuendo driven, as one would expect from a true Brit?
    I started with the final sentence and then cobbled together a clumsy pre-amble to justify me posting it
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    One of bash.org's finest
    George
    Home | Blog