Unanswered: Input on a simple data security check function please.

So I was reading some articles on securely programming for php and I came across the:

mysql_real_escape_string

function. It's most likely me not understanding how to use the function, but I couldn't figure out how to work with it in the way I found was simple.

I take all my form input and push it into an array. I wanted to check to make sure there where no "dangerous" characters so I wrote a simple function:

function InputCheck($input){

$badchars = "[;|=|'|\"|?|*]";

if(!ereg($badchars, $input)){
    return TRUE;
    }else{
    return FALSE;
    }
    }

so I can take my array of values and run it through a function:

foreach($Input as $CleanValue){
    if(!InputCheck($CleanValue))$StopProcess = TRUE;
    }

This way I can test in a quick and simple way, and set a flag value perform some action later.

Is there a simple way to use the mysql_real_escape_string function in a manor that I'm looking for?

Thanks,
    Steve

Provided Answers: 59
    the function modifires the sourcer string (well returns a modified form of the source string that is safe.. it doens't do wshat you want....

I suppose the argument is do you want to stop anything that is suspect or make it safe?

I'd alos have a look at the other similar sort of funtions such as htmlentities

I would like to block any input strings that have dangerous characters in them and toss a flag so I can stop query execution.

Provided Answers: 59
    in which case either write your own function or do a comparison after running the relevant function to see if hte function replaced anything

if they are different then you know there was a problem