Question Unanswered: Were to start learning the syntax

Hi,

I'm new to this group. I did my share of programming back in the days of dBase and Foxpro for DOS. Big programs, lots of db's, tons of code. My last upgrade was Visual Foxpro 6.0 and I never really got into that version.
    Now I have a, what I consider, simple project. I want to make a prgram in Access to help me to quote, keep up inventory, report some instructions on actions to be take. Not to complicated in my mind. Then I actually started.
    Seting up db's and relations, no problem,
    Creating forms, no problem,
    Using automated functions, not to hard to understand.
    Writing the syntax for my events, very frustrating !

I got some books on Access, but they don't really get into coding.
    I've done my share of VB coding in excel, but access goes much further that that. So I do my internet searching, but I do not know the keywords yet, of the functions I'm looking for.

Like, this morning I was looking how to use the value of a field in an open db in my calculations. I don't know the syntax. I know the db is open and pointing at the right record, but not a part of the form I'm working in. Can't seem to find how to address it,...

So I'm looking for some websites, or books, that I could read through to update me on the syntax of VB to write code for MS access. Any place I can download like a reference guide for the commands?

Any good advice where to start?

Thanks!
    Stefan

Provided Answers: 59
    one of the best books in my mind is the Access Developer series by Sybex.. but pricey around 50 per pair, but well worth it.

but have a look at the FAQ and or code bank here for some ideas.
    the contributors I'd rate in no order are Izyrider, Pkstormy, that little weasel pootleflump, georgev, strtrekker to name a few.. Im sure there are plenty more whoi I have fogotten if so apologies

Healdem,

Thanks for the advice, I just ordered the book for $11.75 from half.com

Any sites where I might find a complete listing of commands?

Thanks again,

Stefan

I double what healdem said - Access Developer series by Sybex is the BEST in my opinion. The book has a cd with LOTS of great examples. The Northwind database that is on the Office/Access cd is also good to look at (other than all the macro examples but great for table design, relationships, and form/report designing.) Besides that, I did a lot of learning by looking at other code (and weeding out the good code from the bad code.) But I never went wrong with the Sybex books. I especially like the example mdb's where there's no Setup to install them to your harddrive. You'll find some Sybex coding used in the examples in the code bank.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Stefan,

Keep in mind that there are some Access books out there I've used to light my fireplace. You'll find that Sybex is highly recommended from users on this site.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 04-02-08 at 14:28.

For a complete listing of commands, you might want to start with the Access help itself. It's not the best but it'll get you going. I wouldn't waste my time though trying to learn all the commands and instead look at example mdbs to see what commands you need and how they apply.