Unanswered: sp_smtp_sendmail not working after server recovery

I was able to take a set of Full backups and script my publication beofre they took the server down. they rebuilt the Server on different hardware with the same IP address and Server name. I then reinstalled my Named Instance and recovered system databases, distribution database and then my user Database with replication. everything seemed fine.

last night, a couple of jobs that use sp_smtp_sendmail failed with this error:

DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_2, Error = -2147217900 (80040E14) Error string: Cannot load the DLL xpsmtp80.dll, or one of the DLLs i... Process Exit Code 2. The step failed.

I googled it and I found that it may have something to do with DLLs not registered properly. Does anyone know how to fix this?

If this was a rebuild, instead of a restore, check to make sure the xpsmtp80.dll file actually exists in the mssql\binn folder. It's not part of a default install of SQL.
    David Maxwell
    Data Integrity? Yeah, I've heard of that...

it does not. Can I just copy it from another similiar SQL Server Install without causing any problems?

Provided Answers: 6
    Having just set up a new server with it, isn't that from here:

http://www.sqldev.net/xp/xpsmtp.htm
    Paul

Thanks Paul. I didn't know about this add-on. Sounds like I just need to follow the instructions to install XPSMTP. Do you think this needs to be done off-hours? I wouldn't think so..

I don't see why; it's a very simple install that shouldn't affect anything operational. I did it during normal hours.
    Paul

Thanks !!!! So did I miss something during the install or is this truly an add-on????

You didn't miss anything; it's a third-party add-on. I like it because no email client needs to be installed on the SQL Server.
    Paul

Thanks Paul. I guess I didn't know about it because I've always had to install a fat outlook client on the SQL server for mail. the shop I'm in now uses Lotus Notes for mail.. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!! works again !!!!