Question Unanswered: Automate Changing Cell Contents

I have an Access database which I import data from Excel. One of the fields I update to is a Local Authority Ward Code. Basically, there are 24 different options this could be e.g. A1A, A1B.

What I want to do is to run a query which will look at the contents of the cell and update any reading A1A to read Bicknacre, any reading A1B to Runwell and so on.

I've got an update query setup and have chosen the table and the cell and then put each different code in each column

i.e. Field - Ward
    Table - Homes
    Update to - Bicknacre
    Criteria - A1A

Field - Ward
    Table - Homes
    Update to - Runwell
    Criteria - A1B

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working. Is this the best way to do it?

out on a limb
    Provided Answers: 59
    so why not just import the data?
    have a table which defines the area codes
    do a join on the area code to that table to pull in what ever data you associate with the code (use a left join)

the main probelm I can see is how do you handle area codes that are not defiend.. do you rejet the import, or do you make sure your link is non RI.. ie the source data/ chld table can have a code which you dont have in the code table. run a query after the import is donw to find waht codes if any are not defined and update those codes..

becuase somebody somewhere will create a new code, somebody will miss type a code, somebiody will forget a code.