Unanswered: container not dropped after the drop

I have just moved four containers from one file system to another to rebalance the utilization. Each is roughly 5.3gb.

After doing list tbs it shows new containers but not the old.

After doing df -k the old containers are still there and the timestamp is now out dated. which means that they are not used, I hope.

Question. Why did the old containers did not get deleted? Can I delete them manualy, I really do not want to try that? What are my other options we are talking about 16+gb wasted space now.

BTW. list util shows that it is all done rebalancing.

Thank you.
    --
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

DB2 v9.7.0.6 os 6.1.0.0

what, no 24x7 suport , there got to be someone who can't keep his hands away from keaboard and know the answer.
    --

DB2 v9.7.0.6 os 6.1.0.0

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar8000
    There got to be someone who can't keep his hands away from keaboard
    OK, you got me there ...
    I don't know the answer, though. Just a suggestion: try to rename the (old) file, see if that keeps DB2 happy, and if everything goes well for (say) a few days, remove the file.
    Or, if you have the option to do that, restart DB2 after the rename and see if it protests. If not, remove the file; otherwise, rename back and restart again.
    --_Peter Vanroose,
    __IBM Certified Database Administrator, DB2 9 for z/OS
    __IBM Certified Application Developer
    __ABIS Training and Consulting
    __http://www.abis.be/

Thanks Peter. I knew I would be able to find someone on a weekend to look at my question. I saw your responce earlier just had nothing good to report so waited for more info.

I have decided to wait a bit. Non of those containers have been used yet. I think unless I hear from someone else, I will wait till weekend and if date on thsoe files does not change I will move them out first.

I guess this is an invitation for other t shine in as well
    --

DB2 v9.7.0.6 os 6.1.0.0

Send a request to the mother ship. PMR 22912-122. Guy was really surprised that it did not clean up after it self.
    --

DB2 v9.7.0.6 os 6.1.0.0

Maybe db2 untag containerpath?

You might try "db2 untag CONTAINERPATH". In older versions of DB2, I have used that when dropping a tablespace didn't clean-up after itself. I haven't had to use that since v7, nor for just a couple containers on a still-living tablespace, so I would recommend you grab a backup first or try it on a test system if you have the option. If you don't have the flexibility to risk your data and cannot take a backup, then it would be better to just let the old containers stay until you have a chance to get a recommendation from the db2 support pmr team.

just in case you are interested. None of the log or message files captured the problem. IBM said that with out that info there is nothing they can do. And considering that it is hard to reproduce this problem PMR is closed.

What I did find out is there is a system command that it appears very few use and know how to use it. It is called db2relocatedb that allows you to move containers with out rebalancing. It has to be done off line, but looks like a much quiker way to accomplish the job. in my case each add and drop took over two hours to rebalance its self.

This command can do much more then just move containers, so look it up.

You can get more info on this command HERE

Is it a happy hour yet?

p.s.Totally forgot. I have renamed those files back then, and since timestamp did not changed and db2pd -db dbname -tablespaces command showed that they do not belong to this db any longer I have dropped those files. So, far so good
    --

DB2 v9.7.0.6 os 6.1.0.0