Can anyone help me with a database question?

Hello I need some advice/guidance regarding designing a basic database with SQL Server and using Visual Studio 2008.

I have designed databases in Access before and used VBA for simple coding like messages. I am now wanting to start learning designing databases via SQL Server and Visual Studio.

I have designed a simple two-table relational database in sql server and used Visual Studio as the front end and have placed the two related tables on a form, and can navigate, update, delete and save the related records via the automatic Binding Navigator which Visual Studio places on the form.

Now is the part where I am getting stuck and need some help on which way to go to learn more...

I want to place my OWN buttons on the form to allow Deleting, Adding, Saving etc of the records in the two tables. I am unsure whether it is Visual Basic code I need to learn to do this, or if it is SQL code which I need to learn. Or is it a combination of both? I dont want to rely on the binding navigator as I cannot position each icon where I want. And I cannot even find the code for the navigator. I really need some help.

Can someone help me and point me in the right direction with any websites or books which I can learn from? I would be very greatful!

That's in VB domain...

Its in both domains.
    You should write stores procedures in SQL to edit the data, and then call those stored procedures from your application code.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

True blindman, i was referring only to the "My own controls" section :P

Thankyou for your replies, I will try doing some more research. Does anyone have any links already which might help and point me in the right direction?

Thankyou for your replies, I will try doing some more research. Does anyone have any links already which might help and point me in the right direction?

Can anyone recommend any links or books which a beginner to databases with VB and SQL which I may find useful?

I am a big fan of the O'Reilly books, selections from Microsoft Press, and the w3schools website is always good to pick things up fast.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Start with this ADO Tutorial.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

I have researched until im blue in the face on google and purchased a book called Beginning VB 2008 Databases and I STILL cannot find what I am looking for.

It is so frustrating! The book has examples on how to create a form in VB, connect to a SQL Server Database and delete, update etc but only from pre-defined sql code eg customer id ="cust001".

All I want to do is update, delete and navigate a simple 2 table related SQL Server Database via a VB form. I want the for to display both related tables of customers and orders and add a few buttons on the form to add, delete, update and navigate through the rows.

But all the examples I find just do not show me how to do this. It is soooo frustrating!

Try posting your question in the VB forum:
    http://www.dbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=245
    Be sure to include details, as well as any code that you have tried.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com