Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question CERN creates a new super-fast internet

not sure if this has been posted here b4 ....

CERN creates a new super-fast internet

Apparently, when CERN isn't colliding particles (and ripping massive holes in the space-time continuum), it's busy working on a new "internet" which will be 10,000 times faster than our current version. The project -- known as "the grid" -- is built atop completely fiber optic networks, and utilizes modern routing centers. By keeping traffic out of our current phone and data systems, the researchers have been able to achieve speeds heretofore unseen on previous networks. The system connects from CERN to 11 centers around the globe, and will be switched on when the Large Hadron Collider is activated, on what the group is calling "Red Button Day." Project heads believe a network with this speed will lead to all sorts of futuristic innovations -- like true cloud computing, holographic video conferencing, and really, really fast pirating of the entire Nightmare on Elm Street series.

Via: Engadget
    Original News Source: Times Online UK

_

will this superfast internet mean an end to many IT jobs esp. DBAs in the near future??

yes

google app engine, announced yesterday

google bigtable
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

whatever. people have been perdicting the end for database professionals since I joined the racket. what a bunch of crap. The truth is that most users can barely get around email, the internet, and Excel and most programmers can not think in mathmatical sets.

as long as there is matrix manipulation problems against time series databases, the world is going to need someone smart enough to manipulate them. so come and get my job. you can have it and then I can go use my brain for something that might contribute to the civilization .
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

I mean come on. The world moves slowly and most of its transactions are still handled on mainframes with COBOL originally put together decades ago. My job is safe as long as I want it.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

hmmm... i m sorry ... yes means??

DBAs wont have a job or the market for DBAs will be down in near future?

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus
    I mean come on. The world moves slowly and most of its transactions are still handled on mainframes with COBOL originally put together decades ago. My job is safe as long as I want it.

i m trying getting into oracle DBA .... hence was curious to know...

I've lived through somewhere between three and seven full generations of computer hardware/software, depending on whose count you happen to like.

The world's appetite for geeks is insatiable, and that appetite is growing many times faster than we have ever been able to create new geeks. As the geek factor of the marketplace increases, we need both larger caliber geeks and more geeks too.

If being an Oracle DBA suits you, then go for it, with gusto! Ten years from now will be more different than ten years ago (change accelerates), but pick a place and get started... Then hang on for dear life and assume that you'll keep learning every day for at least as long as you keep working in a technology related field.

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by iinfi
    hmmm... i m sorry ... yes means??
    yes means yes to your question

your question was "will this superfast internet mean an end to many IT jobs esp. DBAs in the near future??"

yes, it will
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by r937
    yes means yes to your question

your question was "will this superfast internet mean an end to many IT jobs esp. DBAs in the near future??"

yes, it will

Ignorance

"The massage you have entered is too short"

I always though massages were too short
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

whom are you calling ignorant?

pistols at dawn, sir!!!

rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Quote Originally Posted by r937
    whom are you calling ignorant?

pistols at dawn, sir!!!

We have quite a history of duels here in Jersey

Anyway from what I've seen, the DBA is the only group protecting IT from ITself

(Hamilton should have stayed in bed)

Whom? you speak very good English...for a Germain German
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

the thought of either of you with a firearm is enough to give me chills.

I have new 2nd ammendment position. it only applies to me and people I approve of.

I have new 2nd ammendment position. it only applies to me and people I approve of.

OK!!!!

Shots at dawn

I choose Tequila!!!!!
    Last edited by Brett Kaiser; 04-10-08 at 14:03.
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

I think that everyone should be allowed to wear short-sleeved shirts.

-PatP